Just got new JL Audio Sub and amp, new to audio, how to not blow it??

Participant count
  • Participant list

TMills

Hey guys, im new to the first post here. Im new to the forum and I just got a JL Audio CP112-W0v3 12" slot ported box and a JL Audio JX500/1D amp. The guy that installed it told me to leave the EQ on the headunit at flat. but quite frankly it sounds like factory. I didnt pay $700 for factory and personally i think that is BS. i cranked the EQ up a lil and boy what a difference. this thing is niceeee. my question is, will this damage it? and do you guys have any idea how i could fine tune it to protect my investment. Oh and btw i have a JVC KWR710 head unit in a 2003 Impala. Thanks in advance.

sure. i just took a look on crutchfield for the specs of the HU.

heres what some of the specs say and forgive me for being a beginner but i barely understand any of this, but im trying to learn.

2.5V/4CH Preamp Output: two pair of 2.5V preamp outputs (Front, Rear/SW). You can set the Rear/SW preamp outputs for connecting a pair of full-range rear speakers (through an external amplifier) or for connecting a subwoofer (through an external amplifier). When set for rear speakers, the rear outputs operate with the unit's fader control. When set for subwoofer, the outputs are non-fading.

Subwoofer Controls: When the unit's Rear/SW preamp output is set to Subwoofer, you can set the cutoff frequency of the low-pass filter at 55Hz, 85Hz, or 120Hz. You can also adjust the head unit's subwoofer level between -8 and +8 (separate from the main volume level).

the unit has a low pass filter so im not exactly sure how that works.

Bass EQ's 60, 80, 100, 200 Hz +/- 12 dB (-6 to +6) with Q 1.0, 1.25, 1.5, 2.0

Midrange EQ's 0.5, 1.0, 1.5, 2.5 kHz +/- 12 dB (-6 to +6) with Q 0.75, 1.0, 1.25

Treble EQ's 10.0, 12.5, 15.0, 17.5 kHz +/- 12 dB (-6 to +6) Fixed Q

Full Bandwidth Power: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20-20kHz, 1% THD)

Maximum Output Power: 50 watts x 4 channels (200 total watts)

This chart might help to get an idea but take it with a grain of salt I guess. It's what I used though.

RMSchart-nodirections.jpg

Here's another article I used.

GlassWolf's Pages

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.