Just built a box and I'm not happy with it...

How do you figure? It takes up the whole back of my Yukon and goes over the seat a bit, it's def 12.5 cubes. Torres Calc states so, so i dont see how it's not 12 cubes? I used like (8) 4x8 sheets to build it. The box is 21.75 x 48 x 32 , put that onto paper you'll see it's 12 cubes.

Not when you change your wood size from .75 to 1.5 like it is. I’ve done multiple 12-14 cube two 18 builds. For it not playing high I couldn’t tell you. I always tuned to 35ish and peaked in the mid 40hz range. I would guess you wouldn’t be playing low enough if your ports were being choked by the hatch. I would double check your LPF on headunit and amp. Then clamp your amp and see what you are getting for rise.

hmmmm, fold your back seats down and push the box as far forward as you can go just temporarily to see if you are getting some port choke. when you wired the amp down to .5 did you set your gain again as it might of walked a little

just a test, open the hatch and play the subs and see how it sounds up front. Also are your subs in phase?

Also with your design you have TOO MUCH damn port area. keep that **** at 8-13 port per feet for aeros. You cant build pressure like that. Also why you lost DBs is because you lowered the tuning by taking away the port area while keeping the length. If you made the ports shorter and took off one port, you'll be louder. You can lose cone control with too much port area the box will basically act like its Infinite baffle. Which is what happened with my old setup with 4 18s, I lost a lot of output and bandwidth when I had all 4 10 inch sonotube ports open. I gained more and more as I covered the ports, night and day difference in output. But i had to shorten the ports as well to keep the tuning.

Not when you change your wood size from .75 to 1.5 like it is. I’ve done multiple 12-14 cube two 18 builds. For it not playing high I couldn’t tell you. I always tuned to 35ish and peaked in the mid 40hz range. I would guess you wouldn’t be playing low enough if your ports were being choked by the hatch. I would double check your LPF on headunit and amp. Then clamp your amp and see what you are getting for rise.

I explained already that I figured out the double baffling without using the program parameters. Meaning the program is correct, I added a shell on the outside of what the program says, so those are correct numbers. IT'S 12cft, theres no doubt about it. I checked my LPF over on everything tuned it as I would. I need to clamp my amp tho you're right.

just a test, open the hatch and play the subs and see how it sounds up front. Also are your subs in phase?

Also with your design you have TOO MUCH damn port area. keep that **** at 8-13 port per feet for aeros. You cant build pressure like that. Also why you lost DBs is because you lowered the tuning by taking away the port area while keeping the length. If you made the ports shorter and took off one port, you'll be louder. You can lose cone control with too much port area the box will basically act like its Infinite baffle. Which is what happened with my old setup with 4 18s, I lost a lot of output and bandwidth when I had all 4 10 inch sonotube ports open. I gained more and more as I covered the ports, night and day difference in output. But i had to shorten the ports as well to keep the tuning.

I was told for numbers more port area was better why I went with 4 and plug one for daily. I agree though that I think part of my issue is there is too much port area. I will be going with 3 ports in my next box build.

hmmmm, fold your back seats down and push the box as far forward as you can go just temporarily to see if you are getting some port choke. when you wired the amp down to .5 did you set your gain again as it might of walked a little

I cant put my back seats down and push the box forward all of my batts and amps are between the seat and box, hence why my box is so close to the hatch to begin with/

Did you use a program to design it or just pen/paper and whatever was on Fi's website?
I doubt he used a proper box modeling program, just threw it on torres most likely.

If he did, he'd know that its too much port, too low of a rear air velocity.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

East

10+ year member
Team New England
East
Fryeburg, Maine
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date