Just bought a new pickup truck, questions.

Gordie

Hey all,
I just bought a 2021 Chevy Silverado replacing my 2010 Silverado. The stereo I had in my old truck was nice because I could use Focal speakers in the front with the tweeters up by the windshield, but this new truck, on the surface, seems like it may be a challenge to get a new decent system installed? I'm no pro, but this truck has speakers on the top of the dashboard and there are options for speakers in the front and rear doors, and it has the huge stereo that is standard.
Will I ever be able to get a decent system installed? I've attached pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0483.JPG
    IMG_0483.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0482.JPG
    IMG_0482.JPG
    865 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0481.JPG
    IMG_0481.JPG
    859 KB · Views: 102
Of course. Should be a 6x9" in the front doors and a 2.75" full range in the dash IIRC.

You can use an Audiocontrol amp with built in DSP or go with a stand alone DSP.

I appreciate your suggestion, but I have no idea what this is? I haven't been in the game for quite a while and the new technology is foreign to me. You'll have to go slow and use small words. Sorry :(

your stock deck plugs into one of those, then into amp/s and then into speakers/subs

your stock deck plugs into one of those, then into amp/s and then into speakers/subs
Thanks for the scoop. I didn't know this and now I'll have to research. So, if I go this route, I won't need a new deck, but I also won't get any options like EQ, Auto Surround, time delays and such? Sorry, if there's a link that explains all this, please send it my way. Is installing a new Deck totally not an option? Thanks!

Stock decks now control more than just the radio
On my BMW the coding firmware for updating the car was in the deck for an example
My ex wife's dodge journey that I inherited when we separated had the climate controls in it
They are slowly making it harder and harder to put an aftermarket HU in.
If you remember what line output converters were back when, you run speaker wire into it and it gives you RCA outs but they really didn't have any power and sounded like ****.
DSP's (the link to JL ) are line output converters on steroids with lots of extra options. They are actually much better than most aftermarket decks anyway

I would be careful if you still have a factory warranty.. You do the audio while under warranty,, most dealerships and aftermarket warranties will void all warranty work on the powertrain as well. Just an FYI

I have never know any company to void mechanical warranty for you stereo
I have had stereo's in my cars for 20+ years and always buy brand new cars and never had a problem

Thanks for the scoop. I didn't know this and now I'll have to research. So, if I go this route, I won't need a new deck, but I also won't get any options like EQ, Auto Surround, time delays and such? Sorry, if there's a link that explains all this, please send it my way. Is installing a new Deck totally not an option? Thanks!
If that truck is a completely new design you may find it difficult to find anything by way of wire pigtails or dash replacement kits for a while. Aftermarket parts come out slowly after new revisions and I expect pretty soon they may not come out at all except for the most popular selling models of vehicles what with the complexity of current generation factory systems.

JL and several other companies make units that are basically really fancy LOCs (line out converters) that you can connect to your factory speaker outs from the head unit and convert to RCA. Many of these options have plenty of other processing features. I'm not current on what's out there, but Audison, Rockford, JL, and JBL all used to make them and I suspect still do.

I avoid those bounced off the windshield dash mount speakers. I have only once heard anybody get them to sound good and blend well. If your doors have a spot for 6x9 you can do plenty with just a good pair of 6x9 components in the doors. I'd vouch for the JBL Stadium as being very nice if you don't mind spending a bit, but I'm sure other companies have similar price/performance offerings.

I have never know any company to void mechanical warranty for you stereo
I have had stereo's in my cars for 20+ years and always buy brand new cars and never had a problem
True..... But then adding aftermarket electronics would be very unlikely to cause a mechanical issue, even if you screwed something up with the install.
On the other hand, you could totally screw up something with your electrical or onboard computer, buy installing any kind of electronics incorrectly. And that's what you might have warranty issues with.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...