JLJunkie's Retarded Budget Build

Well, I met up with @Spooney today, it was nice meeting you dude. He is the first "bass head" that's had a demo from the ol' blaupunkts. I am curious to hear what he thought. Also looking forward to seeing what you do with that sub you got from me. Hopefully I'll have this 6th order done so you can hear it at the show in August.

Definitely nice meeting you too @JLJunkieMX107 . I thought the Blaus sounded great man and definitely had plenty of output. Your windshield had some nice little flex to it when you turned it up. For the money invested in the subs it’s amazing and makes me want to get something going in my truck. Very pleasantly surprised at the heft of that sub I got from you man. I feel like I have so much to do before that show, I really need to get off my ***. Matter of fact I think I’m gonna go try to find my peak right now lol ! Keep me updated on that 6th.

Holy freaking crap man. Lol I just got on this forum now for the first time and I find this! Lol that's a tough ass design and a super quality looking build. Obviously the numbers were pretty friggin spot on. Nice.. jealous.

I'm sorry if I'm missing this and you've got this posted somewhere really obvious in neon lettering or something but since I was commenting anyway. What amp is on this setup? I heard you say it was super cheap but good God man! I'm obviously not at all but I'm just going to say speechless.

Holy freaking crap man. Lol I just got on this forum now for the first time and I find this! Lol that's a tough ass design and a super quality looking build. Obviously the numbers were pretty friggin spot on. Nice.. jealous.

I'm sorry if I'm missing this and you've got this posted somewhere really obvious in neon lettering or something but since I was commenting anyway. What amp is on this setup? I heard you say it was super cheap but good God man! I'm obviously not at all but I'm just going to say speechless.
looks like he had a audiopipe 2k on them.. if u like this build u need to go into the build logs on here some will blow your mind

Holy **** ya'll, I ghosted out for a while (promoted at work and my time/energy has been gone). Plus with winter in Michigan, it isn't much fun working out in my shop (no heat). The $150 challenge is back in full swing for this year. I ordered the SPL Labs wireless meter on Thursday and I should FINALLY get to meter this thing within the next week. 

Also, the price of the blaupunkt 8's went up so I'll only be running 4 of them in the challenge. I ended up cutting the enclosure in half, so now I have 2 t-line enclosures with 4 subs in each. It makes it a hell of a lot easier to put **** in/out of the truck.

Still working on building that 6th order for a single 12 that buck designed. I've been too busy with homeowner stuff; furnace & hot water heater both went out within a week of each other, pipe burst in our bathroom, electrical mast got ripped out of our garage due to a falling tree.....yes, I am crying and making excuses lol. Spring is around the corner and I'll be back into full build mode soon. Now that I have my own SPL meter, I can actually test the different enclosures that I'm building to see what all the equipment does. Anyhow, stay tuned, I'll post up pics of the enclosure being cut in half.

Got the meter today and finally learned what incredible deebeez this thing is hitting. 141.8 lol Keep in mind that my electrical system is bone stock and I'm running these on an audiopipe APMI-2K wired @ 2 ohm. With box rise, realistically these things are only seeing about 700-800 watts (if that). In the video I had a brain fart and said they were wired @ 4ohm. Anyways, here's the video: 

Last edited by a moderator:
Wired to .5ohm and saw a little bit of a gain. I think this has hit the max, the t-line just doesn't allow me to throw enough power at these 8s before they hit their mechanical limitations. The $150 SPL Challenge runs until May 31st, so I am just going to build a burp box and see what these things can really do. 

53871214_1222334731255418_6606198668104040448_o.jpg

This winter has been rough for you west coast MI folks. 

Pretty good score for $104 worth of subs and a t line. There's more left in them with a cabin resonance aligned burp box and more power. 
It has been no joke, man. We got off easy with a mild December & early January, but it's been non-stop ever since. My house is surrounded by nothing but trees and that ice storm in early February took down about 10 mature oaks (1 of which fell on the power line going from the service pole to my garage). I forget, are you over on the east side of the State or in Northern Indiana?

I'm going to design a burp box and see what I can do. I am venturing into unknown territory at this point. After all the years of throwing systems together and building boxes, I realized that I've never done a straight up SPL build. Just kind of comical that my first one will be for 8 blaupunkt 8s lol

If any of you SPL guys read this and don't mind helping me out, I'd love some feedback on my game plan. From what I remember (and recently researched), I'll need to do sweeps with a sealed enclosure to find the resonant frequency of my truck. Here's where I get fuzzy on what to do...

- The plan is to do a small box (for power handling) with a lot of port area.

- I'm going to build 2 different boxes, 4 subs each (ease of swapping things in and out).

- Subs will be inverted so no worries about displacement from the woofer.

- I'm thinking .25 cu. ft per sub which nets 1 cu. ft. per box. 

- The port is where I am not sure how to proceed. I know that I'll be doing an external square port (interchangeable so I can mess with tuning). What would you recommend for surface area? Would 40 sq. in. be adequate for a burp box? 

Any help would be much appreciated. 

It has been no joke, man. We got off easy with a mild December & early January, but it's been non-stop ever since. My house is surrounded by nothing but trees and that ice storm in early February took down about 10 mature oaks (1 of which fell on the power line going from the service pole to my garage). I forget, are you over on the east side of the State or in Northern Indiana?

I'm going to design a burp box and see what I can do. I am venturing into unknown territory at this point. After all the years of throwing systems together and building boxes, I realized that I've never done a straight up SPL build. Just kind of comical that my first one will be for 8 blaupunkt 8s lol

If any of you SPL guys read this and don't mind helping me out, I'd love some feedback on my game plan. From what I remember (and recently researched), I'll need to do sweeps with a sealed enclosure to find the resonant frequency of my truck. Here's where I get fuzzy on what to do...

- The plan is to do a small box (for power handling) with a lot of port area.

- I'm going to build 2 different boxes, 4 subs each (ease of swapping things in and out).

- Subs will be inverted so no worries about displacement from the woofer.

- I'm thinking .25 cu. ft per sub which nets 1 cu. ft. per box. 

- The port is where I am not sure how to proceed. I know that I'll be doing an external square port (interchangeable so I can mess with tuning). What would you recommend for surface area? Would 40 sq. in. be adequate for a burp box? 

Any help would be much appreciated. 
I'm in Ann Arbor, I just remember seeing the weather forecasts this winter and Grand Rapids was always like twice the amount of snow we had on this side of the state lol.

You want to use a sealed box with a qtc of .707 for a flat response then tune a few hz below the vehicle peak. Unless you are overpowering the subs then you don't really need a small box. 

As far as ports go, I use aeroports, it might be worth looking into the Big Ass Ports versatune 8 or 10 inch port. Aeros make tuning on the fly super easy and the port overall doesnt need to be as big.  

I'm in Ann Arbor, I just remember seeing the weather forecasts this winter and Grand Rapids was always like twice the amount of snow we had on this side of the state lol.

You want to use a sealed box with a qtc of .707 for a flat response then tune a few hz below the vehicle peak. Unless you are overpowering the subs then you don't really need a small box. 

As far as ports go, I use aeroports, it might be worth looking into the Big Ass Ports versatune 8 or 10 inch port. Aeros make tuning on the fly super easy and the port overall doesnt need to be as big.  
Right on. I'm over on the east side of the state typically half of the month (during the day). Most of the clients I work with are in the Detroit metro area. I spend a lot of time over at Domino's Farms (that building is crazy big). What do you think of MI passing recreational? I was puuuumped. Luckily, my employer doesn't give a **** and won't test. I lived in Colorado from 2015 to 2017 but couldn't partake because I was required to have a CDL at my previous job.

I was looking at the big ass ports, I'll just pull the trigger on 2 8" ports (1 for each box). The subs are rated for 200rms (1,600 for all 8). I'll be throwing 2K watts at it, so I guess I don't have to go super small on the box. I've got a stack of MDF, so I'll just test and keep toying around with box sizes until I hit my peak lol Thanks for the advice!

Right on. I'm over on the east side of the state typically half of the month (during the day). Most of the clients I work with are in the Detroit metro area. I spend a lot of time over at Domino's Farms (that building is crazy big). What do you think of MI passing recreational? I was puuuumped. Luckily, my employer doesn't give a **** and won't test. I lived in Colorado from 2015 to 2017 but couldn't partake because I was required to have a CDL at my previous job.

I was looking at the big ass ports, I'll just pull the trigger on 2 8" ports (1 for each box). The subs are rated for 200rms (1,600 for all 8). I'll be throwing 2K watts at it, so I guess I don't have to go super small on the box. I've got a stack of MDF, so I'll just test and keep toying around with box sizes until I hit my peak lol Thanks for the advice!
I live like 5mins from Dominos Farms lol. Very excited about recreational, when my house is done being built I'm going to grow again. 

If you only have 2k before rise then use as big of a box as you can fit while still allowing good airflow. .7-.8per sub or larger should be good. Impedance rise is usually 3-4x nominal impedance. 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.