JLJunkie's Retarded Budget Build

Huge shoutout to Buck for designing this kick@$$ box. Ended up going with a t-line for this and going to mount the subs inverted. I should have this thing built by next weekend. I just need my wiring to show up and then we should be able to get this tested within the next 10 days.

Also, I free air tested one of the subs off of my APMI-2000 (hooked up my amp externally, had a few feet of 0/1 wire lying around). I actually have 10 of these 8's here to test so I've got 2 spares to play around with. I hooked it up to the amp at 4ohm, amp was seeing 14.1V, gain was about half to 3/4 up. Honestly, I don't care if I blow one of these so I cranked it up. I'd say the sub was seeing at least 500 watts, the coil got stinky, but it did not blow. A $13 sub rated for 200rms taking 500 watts free air for about 10 minutes and not blowing? Crazy. I feel like these things could take a little more than 200 watts daily and be fine. Was this a smart test that proved anything? Not really, but I had a few beers in me and it was fun.

Anyways, check out this sexiness that Buck put together. Hit him up if you need a design! You will not be disappointed with his level of service and his pricepoint.

8%20box1_zpsf15wsgrm.png

8%20box2_zpssxe3uees.png

Huge shoutout to Buck for designing this kick@$$ box. Ended up going with a t-line for this and going to mount the subs inverted. I should have this thing built by next weekend. I just need my wiring to show up and then we should be able to get this tested within the next 10 days.
Also, I free air tested one of the subs off of my APMI-2000 (hooked up my amp externally, had a few feet of 0/1 wire lying around). I actually have 10 of these 8's here to test so I've got 2 spares to play around with. I hooked it up to the amp at 4ohm, amp was seeing 14.1V, gain was about half to 3/4 up. Honestly, I don't care if I blow one of these so I cranked it up. I'd say the sub was seeing at least 500 watts, the coil got stinky, but it did not blow. A $13 sub rated for 200rms taking 500 watts free air for about 10 minutes and not blowing? Crazy. I feel like these things could take a little more than 200 watts daily and be fine. Was this a smart test that proved anything? Not really, but I had a few beers in me and it was fun.

Anyways, check out this sexiness that Buck put together. Hit him up if you need a design! You will not be disappointed with his level of service and his pricepoint.

8%20box1_zpsf15wsgrm.png

8%20box2_zpssxe3uees.png
Sweet!

8%20box1_zpsf15wsgrm.png

8%20box2_zpssxe3uees.png

Design looks amazing man! I want to check this out when it’s done

Hopefully I don't **** at designing. I never get less anxious about waiting to hear if a box is good or not. I still get as anxious as my first designs lol
You make some complicated designs, not being anxious would concern me more than you being anxious lol

I had family visiting for the last 4 days so I didn't get anything done over the weekend. However, I've got the rest of the week off from work and I just picked up a stack of MDF from Menards. This thing will be done by friday.

20180605_174257_zpskynvs3cd.jpg

Also, I had a delivery this weekend (half a delivery, other half will be here today). Here's a sneak peak at my next project

20180605_174046_zps2wjkpfbi.jpg

20180605_174111_zpsswms4rkm.jpg

Lol this was too funny not to share. My wiring has apparently been lost in shipment. I wanted to see what our local CA shops would charge for a 25 ft run of 0 gauge just so I could get this thing bumping without paying to overnight some wire. I called and asked how much they could sell me a 25 ft run for. This mf'er said "well I'll cut you a deal and sell it for $199". He got the point when I laughed hysterically and hung up the phone.

If anyone's curious where to get decent wire for cheap....I ended up at a freightliner semi-truck dealer/parts shop and got a 25 ft run of 1/0 for $100. This stuff looks pretty stout too

20180605_181617_zpscdiwcqbk.jpg

Lol this was too funny not to share. My wiring has apparently been lost in shipment. I wanted to see what our local CA shops would charge for a 25 ft run of 0 gauge just so I could get this thing bumping without paying to overnight some wire. I called and asked how much they could sell me a 25 ft run for. This mf'er said "well I'll cut you a deal and sell it for $199". He got the point when I laughed hysterically and hung up the phone.
If anyone's curious where to get decent wire for cheap....I ended up at a freightliner semi-truck dealer/parts shop and got a 25 ft run of 1/0 for $100. This stuff looks pretty stout too

Sweet! I'm a wire whorre so that pure copper puts a smile on my face.

The issue with that style is it's not terribly flexible, so running it tucked away can be more work and you'll really need to mash on the crimp connects for them to bite as opposed to the higher strand count stuff.

FYI weldingsupply.com is my go-to for power cable. The ultra-flex 00 gauge is typically under 3$ a foot

8%20box1_zpsf15wsgrm.png

8%20box2_zpssxe3uees.png
Thought I saw this design in another thread...? Anyway, wouldn't surprise me if they got loud on low power. Nice work Buck.

Thought I saw this design in another thread...? Anyway, wouldn't surprise me if they got loud on low power. Nice work Buck.
Based on the testing he did, they should take full RMS, at least mechanically. It seems like he may be able to use his amp the same way as a ported box.

Now the coil moving more freely might kill your electrical some, because xmax will be hit like way more often. But that shouldn't matter too much, it'll all balance out.

It's starting to look like a box
. I would have been able to finish tonight but my jasper jig broke. Won't be able to cut out the holes for the subs until I pick up a new one tomorrow.

20180606_171947_zps2zr7rdpi.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.