JLJunkie's Retarded Budget Build

A lot of the mainstream brands went to ****. I don't know approx year(s) but the 90's up to 2000 and after 2000 is when it fell over. Cheaper labor overseas, yet cheaper quality too. Handbuilt amps are a thing of the past now....

So a while back, I bought this dang 3D printer and 15 spools of filament. I've used it maybe 5 times and now it's just collecting dust. I am trying to think of things that I could print for my build and I am drawing a blank. Maybe tweeter or door pods? The printable build volume on this thing is 8" x 8" x 8". Do you guys have any ideas on what you would print that could be incorporated into car audio?

20180530_224257_zpsbyri2bep.jpg

So a while back, I bought this dang 3D printer and 15 spools of filament. I've used it maybe 5 times and now it's just collecting dust. I am trying to think of things that I could print for my build and I am drawing a blank. Maybe tweeter or door pods? The printable build volume on this thing is 8" x 8" x 8". Do you guys have any ideas on what you would print that could be incorporated into car audio?

What material does it print? Pods for components is obvious but you could always do accents for your box, raised letters or other fancy looking trim type pieces. Flares for ports also come to mind.

I had a pair of those old Aura components long ago, gave them to one of my brothers... also had some of the Aura amps of that era. They made some great equipment.

Spooney, I just realized that I am only about 30 minutes from you (I live in Saranac). You'll have to hear it once it's done and let everyone know what you think.
Bro I would love to hear it once you’re done! I can tell you from first hand experience those Blaupunkt subs are great little drivers. I have four of the 8’s myself. I also bought 8 of the 12’s which is what I’ll be using once I can get my build off the ground. **** man I was even considering the same amp you got but went ended up going a different route. I’ve driven by Saranac a million times without ever realizing it was right there lol. Anytime I head to GR I head the back way through Lake O and Alto to hit the highway. I’m gonna keep an eye on your progress. Been out of the game for a couple years because my daily won’t allow for much of a system but I can’t take it anymore and plan to buy a dedicated audio vehicle

Mark (Car Audio Fabrication) did a video or two with the 3d printer and an awesome looking amp rack. You should check it out. It may get the creative juices flowing.

Check out SoundmanCA on youtube. He had some tweeter pods 3d printed for his F150 build. Turned out nice.

The truck, bone stock 2014 Ram 1500
19944245_825872570901638_8265834448238771156_o_zpszmdins5u.jpg

Got her in the shop, time to do work

20180526_190746_zpsxp93xcd8.jpg

Here's everything that went in today. I needed to get a better HU in the truck but didn't want to spend a fortune. Ended up getting a Kenwood KDC-x399 for $50 at a pawn shop. Using a Metra double din install kit, to include their CAN bus wiring kit (this **** was so much simpler in the 90's). Also had to a get an antenna adapter

20180526_163300_zpsrrvdkxri.jpg

Ripped the dash apart, that stock HU needs to go

20180526_162405_zpswul515wq.jpg

Almost ready to put in the new HU, however, that dang aluminum housing is in the way (won't let the new HU slide in). Also, staying refreshed with a nice can of Oberon

20180526_162549_zpsthy1fdgs.jpg

The two lines are where I need to cut. This oscillating tool has been my savior on so many projects, zipped right through the aluminum like butter. Also, I have sliced my hand open too many times on sharp edges, swapped out attachments and sanded this crap down.

20180526_164119_zpsic6ft9fm.jpg

20180526_190604_zpspvreqgn8.jpg

20180526_164702_zpsvevvlies.jpg

Aaaaand the "new" HU is in and functioning, sounds so much better than the stock one too. Can't wait to get the subs/amp to get a little bass going.

20180526_184726_zps9hqe4su5.jpg
Looking good so far. I'm interested to see how it turns out.

I just bought one of those saws this past weekend for a job. It is my new favorite tool.

Subs delivered, can't wait to get home so I can check them out. My wife is starting to get suspicious.....asking why so many deliveries are coming to the house haha little does she know there's a LOT more on the way

Screenshot_2018-05-31-15-02-21_zpswfuhvik9.png

They feel about the quality of a $80-100 mainstream (Kicker, RF, MTX) sub imo. I'm still amazed that they have a screwed down spider pack.
Man, I noticed that. I don't think I've ever had a sub with this on it. Pardon my ignorance, but what is the benefit or disadvantage of this? My guess would be to make reconing easier

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.