JL Audio Gmax vs. 1000.1

medeiro
10+ year member

NY
I have a 12"W7 which is currently being powered or should i say underpowered by a JL 500.1. I am looking to upgrade to a more powerful JL Amp, Either the Gmax monoblock or the 1000.1 slash.

I know the slash 1000 amp is better but is the Gmax better then the slash 500and also competitive with the 1000? Im thinkking i need to upgrade to the 1000 let me know. Thanks

The Slash series is just more flexible. It puts out max power at 1.5-4ohm and basically any voltage (11-14.5 volt to be exact). The Gmax is 1200 watt at 2ohm, 600 watt at 4ohm (14.5 volts). Both are great amps. EXPENSIVE!! but nice

The Slash series is just more flexible. It puts out max power at 1.5-4ohm and basically any voltage (11-14.5 volt to be exact). The Gmax is 1200 watt at 2ohm, 600 watt at 4ohm (14.5 volts). Both are great amps. EXPENSIVE!! but nice
I'm catching a pretty good deal, I'm

gettin the 1000.1 for 425 or the gmax for 300. I lost perspective wirh caraudio in terms of money bc I'm always buying JL. I wish o wasn't such a fanboy , same thing with BMW.. It's killing my wallet lol. Thabks for the advice though.

I'm catching a pretty good deal, I'm

gettin the 1000.1 for 425 or the gmax for 300. I lost perspective wirh caraudio in terms of money bc I'm always buying JL. I wish o wasn't such a fanboy , same thing with BMW.. It's killing my wallet lol. Thabks for the advice though.

the 1000/1 will put some more strain on your alternator, but a bmw should be able to handle. For the money I'd definitely get the 1000/1, there a very clean sounding amp, and I wouldn't be surprise if it did around 1300 100% unclipped watts.

So i got the 1000/1 and i set it all up and cranked it. It was loud and clear but the box was too small. So i disconnected the speaker and amp after cranking it high bass boost and i had the gain set before distortion. I built the box and dropped the w7 in to find out the cone was frozen. I could not push the cone down with my hand and when i turned the amp on to see what would happen the speaker just put out static and was not reflexing. I am guessing i melted the coils. Can some one confirm whta seems to be obvious?

I am picking up a w7 13" today which is able to handle 1000rms but i am seeing strain on the alternator as warned a few posts before. Now can i get an extra battery connect to the amp and them go from that battery back to the car battery.

Thanks

clipping!
Im a nooob!!

Could you please emphasize? What exactly is clipping, i dont know much about it as i have never experienced it before. Why are you certain was it clipping? How can i prevent clipping? Is the sub toast?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.