is there such a thing

You can split signals. The easiest way to do this is to run a Y-adapter from the Headunit's preouts (assuming only one free set) to a 4 channel amplifier. You will NOT have independant fade/balance control of them (will hook the lefts togethers and the right channels together). You will also be splitting preout and signal strength between them. It can be done, but it should not be your first choice.

Is there such a thing that you can hook a , lets say 2 channel amp up to and create more channels lets say 4, that distribute equal amount of wattage?
Well if you have 4 speakers (2 fronts and 2 rears) and they are all 4 ohm you would be fine with a 2 channel amp. If your amp is 2 ohm stereo (4 ohm mono) stable then you could run your right front and right rear in parallel and the same with your left front and rear. You'll still have balance (L-R) but you won't have fader though. But all in all you'll be accomplishing the same sound a 4 channel will give you (except the fading that is). But I would suggest a 4 channel so that way you are running at a 4 ohm load. 2 ohm would be a bit more distortion.

Adam

Get an amp with preouts. My Kenwood 4 channel amp I am using for my full range speakers has a nifty A+B output which offers a 2 channel line level out using the sum of the 4 channels. I'm running factory HU, speaker level in on the amp and I get these nifty preouts to drive the sub amp. And no matter where I fade since it's an A+B preout, the sound moves but the subs continue to do the same thing. Thumbs up to Kenwood on this one.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.