Is there a cd lens cleaner specifically made to clean car audio decks that front load the cd

Participant count
  • Participant list

masterblaster1

CarAudio.com Recruit
Manitoba
Seems like when I check out a lot of reviews on cd lens cleaner cds with the little brush that runs across the cd lens, A lot of reviews say they won't work for car cd players because the brushes are so flimsy ,that by the time you get them to load in the cd player the brushes either flatten out when loaded into the car cd player,or brush or brushes are so low quality ,that they just break during the loading phase. Is there a specific brand that can be trusted to be quality,and work for car audio decks, Also no one seem to talk about adding a little isopropal alcohol to the brush to remove anything that may be sticky on the lens. Can I add the alocohol to the brush for a better cleanse, this is how it is normally done when you physically cleanse a laser eye with a q tip.

Seems like when I check out a lot of reviews on cd lens cleaner cds with the little brush that runs across the cd lens, A lot of reviews say they won't work for car cd players because the brushes are so flimsy ,that by the time you get them to load in the cd player the brushes either flatten out when loaded into the car cd player,or brush or brushes are so low quality ,that they just break during the loading phase. Is there a specific brand that can be trusted to be quality,and work for car audio decks, Also no one seem to talk about adding a little isopropal alcohol to the brush to remove anything that may be sticky on the lens. Can I add the alocohol to the brush for a better cleanse, this is how it is normally done when you physically cleanse a laser eye with a q tip.

The lens is very hard to get dirty unless you put a cd with a sticky bump inside of it. The brush cds aren't very effective for dust let alone anything sticky. CDs create enough turbulence to keep small dust particles from being a problem. At that point you'll have to disassemble the receiver to clean the lens. I wouldn't use alcohol on the cleaner either because it could detach the brush when it dissolves the adhesive at the base. Pure isopropyl won't affect electronics the same way water does, but drowning it in solvent isn't likely to accomplish anything.

The lens is very hard to get dirty unless you put a cd with a sticky bump inside of it. The brush cds aren't very effective for dust let alone anything sticky. CDs create enough turbulence to keep small dust particles from being a problem. At that point you'll have to disassemble the receiver to clean the lens. I wouldn't use alcohol on the cleaner either because it could detach the brush when it dissolves the adhesive at the base. Pure isopropyl won't affect electronics the same way water does, but drowning it in solvent isn't likely to accomplish anything.
Thanks for being the only person to chime in on this, obviously ,not many people here are interested in this topic, until (their) cd player starts skipping ,or doesn't play the cd like it used to. I know your method is the best way to do it,to physically look at it, But a lot of reviewers of cd cleaners say they worked for them when their cd player was thought to be done,and wouldn,t play anymore or was skipping badly,without having to rip your whole dash apart. A 1000+ dollar cd player will be junk without a clean laser,and should be taken more seriously,and maintained,not just confronted after there are problems.

Thanks for being the only person to chime in on this, obviously ,not many people here are interested in this topic, until (their) cd player starts skipping ,or doesn't play the cd like it used to. I know your method is the best way to do it,to physically look at it, But a lot of reviewers of cd cleaners say they worked for them when their cd player was thought to be done,and wouldn,t play anymore or was skipping badly,without having to rip your whole dash apart. A 1000+ dollar cd player will be junk without a clean laser,and should be taken more seriously,and maintained,not just confronted after there are problems.
All good, I don't necessarily think it's the first thing people reach for though when they get skips. Often it's due to a poorly made reader that can't handle bumps on the road very well or a dirty CD rather than anything to do with the laser lens. If they say it works you can always try it, I mean if it falls off you'll be opening it up either way right? Those discs are quite cheap, I just think they're a gimmick device personally. As I said, the turbulance from the quickly rotating disc as it ramps up is enough to blow away most dust except maybe pollen or something like that. Most CD players are well sealed enough that larger particles like that won't get in often enough to pile up.

A $1000+ player is likely able to be disassembled and fixed with a microfiber cloth and 50-70% alcohol. Maintenance-wise I wouldn't use the brush CDs, I think it's only something to try if you happen to have one and you're up ****'s creek without a paddle until you open it anyways. I would even spray a cd and put it in wet with 90%+ alcohol before trying that if it was riveted together or something, but if you really want to try it, go for it and lemme know how it works out. Maybe I'm wrong about their usefulness.

Last edited:
All good, I don't necessarily think it's the first thing people reach for though when they get skips. Often it's due to a poorly made reader that can't handle bumps on the road very well or a dirty CD rather than anything to do with the laser lens. If they say it works you can always try it, I mean if it falls off you'll be opening it up either way right? Those discs are quite cheap, I just think they're a gimmick device personally. As I said, the turbulance from the quickly rotating disc as it ramps up is enough to blow away most dust except maybe pollen or something like that. Most CD players are well sealed enough that larger particles like that won't get in often enough to pile up.

A $1000+ player is likely able to be disassembled and fixed with a microfiber cloth and 50-70% alcohol. Maintenance-wise I wouldn't use the brush CDs, I think it's only something to try if you happen to have one and you're up ****'s creek without a paddle until you open it anyways. I would even spray a cd and put it in wet with 90%+ alcohol before trying that if it was riveted together or something, but if you really want to try it, go for it and lemme know how it works out. Maybe I'm wrong about their usefulness.
Hi, I don,t disagree with any of your statements. I myself think it is far safer and better to take the time to properly take the deck out, even though,a person may think it is a lot of work. I don't have a cd cleaner yet ,and will probably just take it out of the dash to physically clean it,Though I never thought of just spraying isopropal alcohol on the cd itself and putting it in for a few spins. I have more of a cd loading and unloading problem than a skipping problems,and was going to pull it anyway to clean and regrease the cd loading mechanism. You way is the best way. I'll just half to put in the work. Every cd player I have even installed in my car has always been 1000+ dollars so better safe than sorry,than have a cheap brush floating around in there,when it fails ,Which it will sooner or later forcing you like you said,to go in there and get it out.Plus I,ll get the satisfaction,knowing it is truly clean by visually seeing it is clean,and everything is lubed properly. Thanks for shifting me over the edge to do it properly.I,m sure this will help others as well, who may be thinking they can take a short cut,that may end up costing them more time or more expense.

A fingerprint, scratch, accumulated dust, or even a hair strand can block the beams of the lens to the cd. These factors can cause the CD player to skip. That’s why you need to clean a CD player on the radio to make sure it will not happen.

Last edited:
It's always a good idea to use a can of compressed air, which can be purchased at any electronics store and is commonly used on computers. Now that the button seams are free of dust, lightly wet a microfiber towel with plastic cleaner or water and wipe the tops of the buttons.
Almost a 2 year thread man??? These are all over the internet to buy . Keeping it simple

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...