Is there a benefit to porting through rear deck on trunk build?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Gunk

CarAudio.com Regular
Ohio
Title says it all.

Just wondering about options on trunk build. Considering 1 15" Zcon in smallish trunk. About 5-6 cubes gross available. I know I'll be building in the trunk as trunk opening is not that big. Considering the Sundown SFB-3000D to power it.

Big question in my mind is if there would be any benefits to designing a box that port came up through rear deck. I've seen some say that porting through rear deck is the way to get the loudest for a trunk build.

Just wondering what thoughts any of you might have.

4th order or series tuned 6th blow through the rear deck. Ported you have the front wave and rear wave being very destructive and get literally zero. Ive seen a few build trying that IRL and it was **** every time. You have to be extremely precise and lucky with vehicle acoustics for a normal ported through rear deck to work.

4th order or series tuned 6th blow through the rear deck. Ported you have the front wave and rear wave being very destructive and get literally zero. Ive seen a few build trying that IRL and it was **** every time. You have to be extremely precise and lucky with vehicle acoustics for a normal ported through rear deck to work.

When a series 6th is blowing through deck, is there an issue of wave cancellation from the sound wave that goes back from the rear deck, hits the trunk wall and reflects back towards the cabin?

Of course i want to get loud but id like to keep SQ as a stronger focus in this build. The 6th sounds appealing that it can peak in the 20s and 50s... Which sounds like a way to stay loud and be musical at the same time.

I think for having 6.5 cubes gross available, if i were to try a 6th order, i would need to step down to the 12", not the 15" ZCON.

Ive started checking around for possible people that would design a 6th order for me. Im not experienced enough to take it on all by myself.

When a series 6th is blowing through deck, is there an issue of wave cancellation from the sound wave that goes back from the rear deck, hits the trunk wall and reflects back towards the cabin?

Of course i want to get loud but id like to keep SQ as a stronger focus in this build. The 6th sounds appealing that it can peak in the 20s and 50s... Which sounds like a way to stay loud and be musical at the same time.

I think for having 6.5 cubes gross available, if i were to try a 6th order, i would need to step down to the 12", not the 15" ZCON.

Ive started checking around for possible people that would design a 6th order for me. Im not experienced enough to take it on all by myself.

when you do anything like a series tuned 6th or 4th order blow through the rear deck, you need to brace, deaden and seal off any kind of airhole that goes to the trunk to avoid cancellation. A 12 wont fit, only a 10 will fit especially if its a Zcon. 6th orders are huge. Definitely have someone design it for you. or you can just do a normal ported firing the rear trunk or a rear trunk wall.

If i did a standard ported box facing the rear of vehicle, i need there to be at least a foot of space between sub/port and the back wall of trunk, right? This was the main reason i was shying away from this as losing that foot significantly effects by box size potential.

Attachments

• 20191114_155710.jpg
    20191114_155710.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 354
If i did a standard ported box facing the rear of vehicle, i need there to be at least a foot of space between sub/port and the back wall of trunk, right? This was the main reason i was shying away from this as losing that foot significantly effects by box size potential.

no you just need 4 to 6 inches

no you just need 4 to 6 inches
Ok, what do you think if i face speaker to the side/corner of the trunk? The wider section of trunk is there. You can see from pic that there is a little opening there. It would allow me to build the box all the way to the rear wall. Only thing is the port would likely be right up against the side wall of trunk if it fired sideways as well.

Attachments

• 20191114_155710.jpg
    20191114_155710.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 484
Last edited:
if you wall off your trunk then hell yes portyour box through the rear deck. i even recommend adding a vent of some kind even if its not walled. i've had several trunk builds and on cars where you can either remove or fold down the back seat. you notice a huge gain in output. so a car with a solid wall behind the seat you would want to vent the trunk into the cabin of the car to gain that lost output you should be getting if you want some examples or see some pics go checkout my posts. i did a build just like this and the post has lots of pics go check'em out https://www.caraudio.com/threads/sealed-enclosure-for-2-sa12-d4s.577015/post-8483187

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.