Is the mcintosh mx5000, still the gold standard out of all the sound quality head units

masterblaster1

CarAudio.com Recruit
Manitoba
Is the mcintosh mx5000, still the gold standard out of all the sound quality head units. I am looking for the very best sounding head unit that was ever made. I notice though that it can be linked up with a McIntosh mda 5000 da converter, Can it not sound its very best without the converter, or after peoples experience with this head unit, that the converter is not needed for the very best sound quality out of this unit,and even detrimental to getting the very best sound quality out of the McIntosh mx5000 head unit. I,m looking to replace my alpine 7909 anniversary edition for sound quality. I have tried the sony cdx c90, and clarion drx9255. Both were great sounding units but was missing the full sound of the anniversary deck.

IMO...SQ comes from being able to properly tune/eq, speaker placement, and knowing what your doing....you can have the best most expensive equipment and it will still sound like **** if you dont know what your doin...save your money and start small and train your ears or your setting yourself up for failure......

Hi, Thanks for your reply.I have been listening and tuning since 1988,That part is well taken care of, And I have been very happy with the high volume sound quality ,but since the 7909 finally failed after many years of listening to it,Lots of satisfied users said there was no better sound quality unit out there than the McIntosh mx5000.Just really wanted confirmation from others that have listened to both the alpine 7909 anniversary 7909J or McIntosh mx 5000 to confirm it is really better sounding in every aspect,or still falls short of the alpine 7909. and if the mx5000 processer was necessary for the headunit to really sound its very best or is not needed,and just muddles the sound quality up.

sorry to question your intelligence/ experience....alot of first timers come on here with alot of unrealistic expectations and get butthurt when nobody agrees with their narrative....just like the democrats

Last edited:
Hi, I'm definitely not a new member,even though that shouldn't effect how your question is adressed or answered,But I see that it does effect it. I resigned up under a new name to see from the newbie side of things if they are questioned before getting to the heart of their question they posted,and so far I have definitely encountered that.We all at one time were newbies. Some may be just justing out,Some may have been in the car audio sq business for 30+ years like myself but have just signed up to the forums and be a wealth of knowledge for a lot of people on the forums. lets get past this part. People are interested in real world shootout testing that compared either the alpine anniversary 7909 7909J and the McIntosh mx5000,and if the processor was an asset or hinderance to the McIntosh mx5000 and necessary or not necessary for it to sound its very best. Anybody with real world experience chime in ,anybody interested like myself in the comparison ,chime in.

This thread continued under the new post heading.
Looking for real world SQ comparison between alpine anniversary 7909, 7909J and mcintosh mx 5000 in headunits section.Thanks jrsmoothie Looks like you have some very nice equipment yourself.

Hey Murph You posted "I’d go with an eclipse sound monitor on a high end sq build".What is the model nuber for that deck,and do you know it for certain to sound better than the alpine 7909,Thanks

so I have a question. The 7909 and the McIntosh were really pre dsp head units. As incredible as they were, how do they really stack up today against a decent head unit and DSP today? I will use for example the Sony Rsx Gs9. If I were to use the Sony and A/B in a reference system against the 7909 or the McIntosh, would I hear the difference? Then if you throw a decent DSP in the mix, would I be able to justify either of the old schools. Again, I dont know the answer and throwing this out their for discussion. Hell, I dont even have a car that accepts a din head unit anymore.

Hi Mr roo ,Don't feel bad your question was never answered,My question for a comparison was never answered either, I was told to post it in the more technical part of the forums,and not even one reply. for you question ,as to if the clarion or the alpine 7909 are still relevant in todays dsp world. I at least have personal experience with the alpine 7909 anniversary edition,no dsp and passive crossovers,and it sounds fantastic at very high volume levels aka 1600rms watts,never a ringing ear from distortion. Most would say a simplified system with either of these decks could compete with todays dsp stereos, but if you have very good placement of your speakers for your car,and you half to have either custom passive crossovers made for your speakers or very high end pre made passive crossovers,then I am living proof that it can be done. Theres a reason why the alpine anniversary head unit is among the highest priced decks for sale out there right now ,selling for far more than even the clarion mx5000 deck,It has a cult following because it sounds incredible with no setting necessary and can go as loud as you want with quality components and speakers for crystal clear full sounding ,high volume listening.Wish I had more comparisons of the 7909 McIntosh mx5000 by itself and dsp set up with exact same cars ,speakers and exact placement of everything to do some real world shoot outs, but from my small town,I am a one man show.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.