Is my amp to powerful for my sub ?

Lochie_t

CarAudio.com Newbie
Still trying to understand how all this power ratings and stuff work so hoping i can actually get a straight answer.

Anyways i have a 1600w max 500w rms amp running at 2oms and a sub that is rated at 1000w max and 500w rms at 2oms will the max being higher on my amp cause damage to my sub ?

i have blow up a different sub in the past so idk if im being to cautious but it feels like my sub is kinda hitting a brick wall when turned up to much.
Could this be due to being pushed to hard out possible not enough power supplied to the amp

Never go off max ratings. Just RMS.

As far as your sub goes, how did you set your gain? If your gain isn't set properly, you could be clipping your sub to death.

I'd be more worried about the amp actually making RMS power with the manufacturer using max watt on the label.

It is likely that that amp is really only a 300w amp

Regardless if the signal is clean most 500w subs can easily handle 750w sometimes more

yeah cheers mate. might look a little more into the gain setting i think i have them set up a little under the normal the amp as i played around a little with them and turning them up would cause the amp light to go red and sub turn off im assuming that was due to not enough power

yeah cheers mate. might look a little more into the gain setting i think i have them set up a little under the normal the amp as i played around a little with them and turning them up would cause the amp light to go red and sub turn off im assuming that was due to not enough power

Do I dare ask what amp?

What size power and ground wire and if it is copper clad aluminum or ofc?

Personally I would run 4awg as a minimum but at 50amps for 500w 8awg ofc wire would suffice but 8awg cca would not.

And you ground us also suspect.

As well as your amp should never go into protect it's doing that to try and keep you from ruining the equipment

I’m not a pro or seasoned in this, but I’ve always been told it’s better to have an overpowered amp than an underpowered amp. Just keep the gain down and bass boost off. Unless they are like dual subs they’ll probably take all the clean power that the amp will give them.
key words clean power

Just be careful with gain, bass boost off, and mind your subsonic settings. If that’s all correct and you have good connections everywhere you’ll be fine.

Still trying to understand how all this power ratings and stuff work so hoping i can actually get a straight answer.

Anyways i have a 1600w max 500w rms amp running at 2oms and a sub that is rated at 1000w max and 500w rms at 2oms will the max being higher on my amp cause damage to my sub ?

i have blow up a different sub in the past so idk if im being to cautious but it feels like my sub is kinda hitting a brick wall when turned up to much.
Could this be due to being pushed to hard out possible not enough power supplied to the amp
What amplifier and what sub? Models and brand. Is the sub in a Ported Tuned enclosure or a prefabbed tuned enclosure or sealed enclosure/ What size is the enclosure?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...