Is it possible to wire a dvc 4 ohm to run at 4ohm...

if it read 2 ohms... then it would push whatever power it sends at 2 ohms... but since there's 2 subs... it would split that in half to each sub... now about the wiring each coil 2 each channel... not totally sure maybe someone will come in and clear that up... but i'm not to sure about doing that... i remember reading somewhere that the signals will not be the exact same or something...

Wait.

YES, it IS possible to wire DVC subs are 4 ohm, but you need 2 one ohm resistors. At least I think it's one ohm, the point is, they use them so they can wire both a sub and a horn tweeter parallel and keep 4 ohm. Just look at any cheap roadmaster box. I figure it'd work the same with a DVC subwoofer. Someone correct me.

As for the subs... what's the point? Just wire them 8 ohm apiece and marvel at the newfound SQ they have!

ok then that may be so, but say you have a 2 channel amp, and you have a dvc 4 ohm sub, ok.... say you run a coil on each channel... so that would be a total of 4 ohms..... correct, so that is how you wire a dvc to 4 ohms...
Yes, you can do that, but that's still not wiring a DVC 4ohm sub to 4ohm....that's wiring each channel to 4ohm.

the amp "would" read 2 ohms, but the amp could only push out as much as it can at 4 ohms, becuz it is going into a 4 ohm application.. correct?
No. If it's seeing 2ohm, then that is how much power it will push. The amp will see a 2ohm load and push out it's 2ohm power.

Wait.YES, it IS possible to wire DVC subs are 4 ohm, but you need 2 one ohm resistors. At least I think it's one ohm, the point is, they use them so they can wire both a sub and a horn tweeter parallel and keep 4 ohm. Just look at any cheap roadmaster box. I figure it'd work the same with a DVC subwoofer. Someone correct me.
Well, you could wire the voice coils in series (for an 8ohm load) then wire an 8ohm resistor in parallel for a 4ohm load, but it would be rather pointless since the resistor would waste half the power in heat, so the subs would effectively still only get the 8ohm power of the amp.

And those roadmaster boxes you are talking about are probably using a capacitor in line with the horn to create a 6db/oct highpass filter for the horn, not a resistor //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

My mistake on the filters.

But I stand with what I said about the resistor, I didn't say it had to be a smart idea, I just said it would work. *grin*

OK, on this ohm thing, think of it this way.

Your wires are hoses, electricity is water, and your speakers are valves. A 4 ohm speaker is closed twice as much as a 2 ohm speaker, so only half as much water can get through, and your amp only has to puch that much less water. If I'm not mistaken (which happens a lot) you can't actually damage an amp with extremely high impedance, you just won't get very loud.

Ok let me describe this best i can.2ch amp,2 dvc 2ohm subs,can i run 1 dvc 2ohm sub at 2ohm on 1ch from the amp(no bridging wanted).i think i got the ? rite!!!😭

@gud4nuthn - to answer your question, no you cannot run 1 dvc 2ohm sub at 2ohm on 1ch. In order to achieve a 2ohm load onto your amp, you would have to wire half of your sub to one channel, and the other half of your sub to the other channel. That will give you a final 2ohm load at the amplifier

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.