Is anybody else running a 2 ohm amp at 1 ohm and your results

onetime

CarAudio.com Newbie
tn
running a kicker cx 1200.1 at 1 ohm. its rated at 2 ohm stable. ***** my voltage down when subs hit. if i pound for a long time the amp heats up and goes into protect. cools in 2-3 minutes and is fine. have ran this for 4 or 5 months no problem. Anybody elses experience with this would be appreciated

Easy the amplifier is not made to run at 1 ohm. Hence your issues. Stop running it at 1ohm and you won't have as many issues. Or actually get an amplifier that will run at 1 ohm.

had p1 svc. i bought amp then upgraded to the p3d412. they came at 1 ohm wired. i dont want to wire them to 4 ohms not enough power. im stuck with what i have right now. so either 1 ohm sounds awsome no big problems for 4 months, or 4 ohms save the amp but sounds like ****. i wish i caould wire them to 2 ohms

Terrible idea. Your going to fry your amp and possibly damage your subs. Wire it to 4ohms till you have the money (if your running stock electrical then you might not even notice a difference to be honest)

Yep but he has stated he doesn't want to run his subwoofers at 4 ohm. That amplifier is nice but was built as we have all said for 2 ohm only. You will fry that amplifier sooner rather then later.

Amplifiers have components in them that can and will fail over time from abuse. Not just like a fuse that either works or fails instantly. Just because it powers back up after a thermal shutdown does not mean it's not being damaged.

Also, usually amp makers size their power and ground wire connectors for no larger cable than required for the advertised power load. I have to wonder if you are running an appropriately large wire. This could actually lead to a dangerous situation.

I do not recommend doing this, at all.

yes. i ran my 2 ed 9.1's strapped at 1.4 ohms instead of 2. Fairly close to what you're doing. You really ultimately don't want to do that, but if you do, you better not be playing below 12.5v or so.

I had a 300 amp alt charging a 15v and $1300 worth of batteries (4 batcaps, 250 AH, many many CCA), so I could get away with it. It would cut out occasionally, exspecially transistioning from a higher note down to a low 30's or 20's note.

Back in the late 80's I saw someone run their amp into to low of an ohm load and it caught fire. Burnt the carpet pretty good. I imagine it could have been worse if he wasn't around when it happened. Today's equipment has better safeguards but if it were me and my 30+ years of experience, I'd run it at 4 ohms until I was able to get a different amp. You could even sell your current amp to help towards the cost of the new one. Bottom line.... You're either going to listen to the suggestions above or turn a blind eye to experience and wisdom. Choose wisely.

I've run those "2 ohm" Kicker amps into 1 ohm nominal before, they protect a bit but I had never personally broke one. Still though, be aware what you're doing is abuse and your amp will fail prematurely.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.