Is 38hz for a box decent?

@hispls , they have competitions where you get more points the lower of the frequency you play. I just tuned a box to about 23-24 hz (by request). Tuning to the mid-high 30's can be peaky. It just depends on what the person wants. Idc where people want their boxes tuned, I just do what they want based off music response. Also, very rarely do I tune a box low and have people not like it. Low as in like 32 hz or so. I find a lot of people are not aware how much low end response that they are missing out on. It just depends on the user.

A large ported enclosure is what I would use for spl/sq. Tuned low. This will give you a flat response and higher output than sealed. Figure out the largest enclosure you can fit, then do the port so it is tuned low. I am tuned at 28hz. My box is over 3 cubes. Slot port boxes arent too hard to build.

Here is my box's curve.

image hosting website

Most enjoyable tuning I had was 38-40hz. My preference is rock & old school rap while hitting the occasional Spl number. And that tuning was what my cabin liked.
The lower tunings are all well and good but slowed/rebassed crap gets old. I'm not a fan of modern rap either.
Hell... Im cruising around with a deck powering front door cheapo coax atm.
Different folks = different goals I guess.
Maybe someday I'll throw this Blaupunkt sub in there, but im not really missing the lows yet.

in a free air environment you would get a sharp drop off at 38hz in a ported box at 38 hz, but with cabin gain in a vehicle, you likely will have a hump in the low end frequencies anyway. I had an Orion sub back in the day that I had ported at 40 hz, but it played lower than that. For some people, a flat signal AFTER cabin gain is what is considered “SQ”, which is easier with a sealed setup. Ported setups have a nice little hump in the low end that some people actually prefer. I’m a fan of ported setups myself, but I like to find subs to run small and tune low to get a little flatter response after the cabin does its work on the lower frequencies.

Q Power Deluxes. Tune them at 32-34 hz.

You could tune them higher but with a cheaper sub, it's typically not going to play well under tuning by a whole lot. Those subs are cheap but they are well designed. 4 Q power 12's on 2000 watts can hit a 145. 4 15's on 2000w can hit about 147, we did this a while ago. 12's were in a blazer, 15's were in a 2 door cherokee. They actually sound pretty decent for their price.

You could tune them higher but with a cheaper sub, it's typically not going to play well under tuning by a whole lot. Those subs are cheap but they are well designed. 4 Q power 12's on 2000 watts can hit a 145. 4 15's on 2000w can hit about 147, we did this a while ago. 12's were in a blazer, 15's were in a 2 door cherokee. They actually sound pretty decent for their price.
I only have an amp that pushes around 500w rms @4ohm that is the llowest impedance bridged

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.