installing new amp while Running late to pick up wife wanting music on the ride = rushing =smoke= fml

Participant count
  • Participant list

Mikey23691

CarAudio.com Newbie
so in a attempt to quickly hook up a additional amplifier to my system a rockfotd fosgate R300X4 I installed my power and ground to amp but then wired the ground wire to positive distribution block and power to negative đź‘Ť. The amp started to smoke out the top when I turned the car back on and I quickly disconnected everything . I put the amp inside figuring I burnt out transformer or something inside the amp but a few days later I got curious and decided to try and hook it up again and see if it powered on still and it did ! So I hooked up a couple old speakers just incase and everything seems to be working perfectly . The amplifier still has a burnt smell to it. It did not smoke at all again when I reinstalled it the right way but I am not sure if I should send the amplifier back or if it will hold up and not damage my speakers. Any advice or thoughts I would appreciate it!

Yeah, probably not safe to keep running it. Might as well plan around the downtime of a repair now and send it out for someone to have a look at. I'd vouch for Amp Medics in Tampa, The Amp Lab in Maine, Zed Audio in SoCal for quality repairs. The bad news is that any reputable shop usually has a few weeks turnaround especially in the summer.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.