Indecisive; Choosing the right equipment....

Participant count
  • Participant list

cam01910

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello, Caraudio members,
I am in the midst of creating an audio system for my 2014 VW Jetta. As of now, I have a Pioneer AVH-501EX as my head unit and I am looking to purchase a Polk Audio D4000.4 to power my door speakers. It seems that people are saying a lot of great things about Focal's component speakers, so I'm trying to determine which model to buy. Currently, I am willing to spend money on the 165AS (which looks to be the suckiest), the flax 165FX (which appears to be the intermediate), or the ES 165K2 (the cool yellow ones costing near a thousand per pair).
In my previous vehicle, I completely disregarded the amazing world of 4-channel amps and, instead, purchased the loudest 15" sub that my alternator could handle. Now that my current vehicle is nicer, I want to do things the right way. I have no experience whatsoever with fancy door speakers, so can someone recommend or tell me (with proper installation and soundproofing) if there is a crystalline clear difference between the Focal 165FX and the Focal 165K2? I recognize that my Pioneer head unit is considered by many of you fine, experienced audio-men to be an entry-level unit, and I am also curious as to if this would lead to bad performance by my future Focal speakers.
I obviously plan on installing these component speakers into the front channels of the PA D4000.4 amp, but what about the back? For each of my rear channels (which can each support 200W RMS @ 2 ohms) , I am thinking about picking up a Sundown Audio 6.5" sub (each of these little speakers can support 200W RMS @ 2 ohms). The price for each of these speakers is $100, so I would be spending $200 on speakers to make full use (all 400 watts) of my rear channels as a single bass output.
Instead of placing these subs directly into my doors, I will probably end up placing them in an enclosure somewhere in the back.
Is this the smart thing to do, or is there a better way I should be making use of these channels?
With time, I am also thinking about purchasing a Singer HPO, battery, big-3 upgrade (the whole shebang) and installing my SoundQubed 15" sub along with my Rockford Fosgate amp matched to produce 1200W RMS at 1 ohm. If I install the two SA 6.5" subs along with the SoundQubed sub, would it be practical to tune the SA enclosure at a higher frequency and the SoundQubed at a lower frequency, so I have a fuller range of bass? Is it a thing in the car audio world for people to have two sub enclosures and tune each one differently, and if so, does it normally come out with desirable effects?

As a recap, I am pretty unsure of myself, ill-informed, and need much guidance. I am just trying to figure this all out so I can do it the right way. But in all seriousness, do I have any business putting Focal 165 FX or 165 K2 speakers into a car with a Pioneer AVH-501 EX? Do these two models of speakers have a noteworthy difference between them? Should I be combining a set of two SA 6.5" subs with Focal component speakers, and should I combine these 4 channels with a 1200W sub for the times I want to blow my eardrums out? I am trying to be as serious, logical, and educated about all of this as possible, but if I sound like an idiot, I need to know.

id do 1 set of comps up front, 1 sub in the trunk, and 2 amps and take out any rear deck speakers (lets the bass vent into the cabin)

i like Image Dynamics for speakers, and Fi for subs

Focals are brighter sounding speakers, you might not like them

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.