I'm a newb so feel free to flame

Hey if I actually decide to keep the speakers, what type of changes would I have to add to get the power to push them for example extra battery and such??? I also plan on getting 6 1/2 Boston Acoustic Pros components for the front and just some 5 1/4 coaxials for the back with another smaller amp to push those as well any suggestions for a speaker amp for this set-up?? If worst comes to worst I might just keep one

Hey if I actually decide to keep the speakers, what type of changes would I have to add to get the power to push them for example extra battery and such??? I also plan on getting 6 1/2 Boston Acoustic Pros components for the front and just some 5 1/4 coaxials for the back with another smaller amp to push those as well any suggestions for a speaker amp for this set-up?? If worst comes to worst I might just keep one
For the power requirments-

For a 1200 watt RMS system some upgraded wiring and an aftermarket alternator is what I would do.

Upgrading the factory underhood wires is called the "big three"

Here is a tutorial on how to do it-

http://forum.sounddomain.com/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=007801;p=

Don't use anything smaller then 4gauge wire for the big three.

For the alt I would get the biggest one possible with the best output at idle, talk to an alternator repair shop and explain that you are planning on putting a big stereo in your car with the potential to draw up to 150 amps of current and you need a beefer alternator to handle it, they should be able to hook you up with somthing that will work.

As for the speakers, the setup you mention sounds fine, for an amp any decent brand name that has 50 to 75watts x4 will do the trick, you could however get away with just a 2channel and just the front speakers if you want to save a little cash.

firstly...you dumb ****...(flaming)

anyways...um...shouldnt he be asking for an alt that can give a clean 200amp...i mean if he is gonna upgrade his alt aint it best just to get a very powerful one

firstly...you dumb ****...(flaming)

anyways...um...shouldnt he be asking for an alt that can give a clean 200amp...i mean if he is gonna upgrade his alt aint it best just to get a very powerful one
Somtimes biggest is not the best, with 1200 watts a 140 will do fine, its the idling voltage that is really important, you can end up with a 250 amp alt that wont charge until it hits 1500 rpms if your not carfull, low stop light voltage is the single most annoying thing in a weak charging system as everything bogs down and the lights get really dim.

Finding an alternator with a strong Idling charge is the most important thing to look for first, max output second.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.