I need help! Subs lost there great sound.

Participant count
  • Participants list

Rickey_hartman

CarAudio.com Newbie
I installed a 2000 watt crunch with 2 150watt xplode sonys6x9 and 2 pioneer 150watt 5x7 in my doors of my 1998 ford f150 ext cab...also took out back seat and put 2 12' Rockfordfasgate p24012 250watt 500max subs with a 1000 watt keenwood class D amp. I had it in there for about 5 months no prob......then i got the boss dbl. den radio with loud button and it was the sweetest sound i could ask for...then i played metal on it loud and started to get a smell from the back like the smell of Silicon thought it was amp but now im thinking it was woofers....and in only 4 days about 5 hrs of playing it sounds like CRAP! I checked subs the ohms is reading 3.5- 3.7 omhs now.....so why did it lose its great sound....its not as loud or near as smooth... It had a very smooth sound that now is like a hard ugly hit?.... Are my speakers blown and is there any advice on what to do about this...and do i now have to buy all new speakers cause that will take forever i dont have the money to replace them ....so any help is much appreciated on what to do here..this was my dream radio i need to get the sound back

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, so you have a Crunch amp powering up the Sony and Pioneer speakers,  RF woofers powered by Kenwood Class D monobloc amp.  Did not specify head unit but then you went and purchased another head unit (Boss) and it all ran well until you released the Genie as a smoke and smell....hmm,!!!

Few things you should do are:

• Stop using your sound system and disconnect the power cable / engage the circuit breaker from the battery (assuming you have one)
  • Take subwoofer box out , take subs out to check voice coils, use multimeter to check resistance.
  • Check your monobloc amp, wiring, for short circuits,  if possible take the amp out and bench test it or take it to a mate who may do it for you;
  • Check RCA'S and behind the head unit, could be a short circuit / wires touching vehicle chassis;
  • After you have checked the subwoofer and the monobloc amp and it all appears fine, then place it all back to test it again. 
  • Either your monobloc amp or subwoofers have failed here but its always good to check wiring.
  • check power/ ground/ remote wires all the way to the amp as well.  Check you have solid ground from the vehicle chassis to the power distribution block as well;
  • If you are not competent to do these checks yourself, then take it to a knowledgeable  friend or a car audio shop.
Hope this information provides some help to your situation.

Peace!

Yes i do have breaker and my stero was stock until i got the bv9364 boss dbl den thats when i started having the problem it sounded great but was too much power going to sp....i installed all this buying them one piece at a time where i could find a good deal all used...so yes i am competent to so this...but what i got from your reply is take it all apart check everything and replace any bad speakers and totally reinstall wich is what i planned to do cause it was the only thing i knew to do unless i got new info from someone else.one more question.my bass hit harder than i planned and it is making my whole truck rattle i have the boxes bolted to frame and my boxes and amps are rattling as well how can i soften the the way it shakes my truck ....it felt like i was having a blow out while driving every time i cranked it up assuming i am able to get the stereo back to its short timely but great glory.it lasted about a weak. And thanks for any help

20190430_073310.jpg

Yes that makes sense....it is a heart breaking lesson...i planed to take it to get levels set by someone who realy knows but waited too long  (one full megadeath album)....but now what do i do to fix this problem....i plan to replace all 4 6×9s but the subs cost 160dollars used....is there a way to salvage them.. I checked the ohms to all 4 coils and it reads 3.5 to 3.8 on all coils and pressed down on cone it felt smooth there was no wires rubbing.... Moved my levels but cant get that smooth hard hit back.does that mean they are not blown or are they blown and have to be replaced.thank you for all your advice guys

I looked for a voice coil kit on the internet can not find one for the p2D412 12' folsgate sub. It is only a 100 to 200 dollar sub but was hoping to fix for around 40 bucks. Is that even possible?

Yes that makes sense....it is a heart breaking lesson...i planed to take it to get levels set by someone who realy knows but waited too long  (one full megadeath album)....but now what do i do to fix this problem....i plan to replace all 4 6×9s but the subs cost 160dollars used....is there a way to salvage them.. I checked the ohms to all 4 coils and it reads 3.5 to 3.8 on all coils and pressed down on cone it felt smooth there was no wires rubbing.... Moved my levels but cant get that smooth hard hit back.does that mean they are not blown or are they blown and have to be replaced.thank you for all your advice guys
you got ripped off for 160 dollars used eww. Those are 40 - 50 bucks a pop used at best. 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.