I had this alpine radio which probably was rare idk.

The "screw you" was unnecessary, but I'm willing to butt heads if you want: Old doesn't mean trash, but some things don't age well. Answer my questions before you get cocky: are you actually going to use this outdated head unit? Do you have cassettes that you will play? No matter how rare or valuable you THINK this thing is, it is still an outdated piece of garbage. If you desperately want to listen to your John Cougar and Chumbawamba tapes again, then you have found the most expensive way to do it.

Head units are not collectible. I'm not sorry if that hurts your feelings.
"Old doesn't mean trash"
"This is still an outdated piece of garbage"
Yeah sure hmh

It isn't that it's outdated trash, it's that most electronics become outdated trash. It has a radio input which is based off your antennae, so it's the same. The only difference is going to be how many watts per channel, it's not going to beat 50w x4. The eq is what 5 band, compared to 13 band on anything new? How many amp outputs does it have, probably one or none? Does it have a camera input, nope? time alignment, probably not? I can find $100-$150 head units from every manufacturer that do. Some older electronics can function under special circumstances which make them valuable in the right situation, this isn't one of them. The only reason to keep it is because it's nostalgic. Technology wise, it's outdated trash.

Do you really have tapes? Buy a $5 flash drive that 90% of all new head units have inputs for, and you can SKIP SONGS. You can organize all your music in folders, and not just have em on one long line that have to search through to find. Tapes get ruined, are annoying, don't keep quality, and one tape takes up about 5 times as much space as a flash drive.

If you're putting this in an 80s/90s car because you just love flock of seagulls, with neon green hotpants, or too legit to quit and hammer pants, then more power to you. Otherwise, you're going to spend on parts and time what it would cost to buy a new one, all so you can have an alpine name brand and a tape player. Don't take it personal. They were being funny, and trying to tell you not to waste your time and money, but you want to for a reason that probably doesn't even matter, and doesn't make sense. Dude, you've been working on this for 3 1/2 years???? Let it go.

Last edited:
It isn't that it's outdated trash, it's that most electronics become outdated trash. It has a radio input which is based off your antennae, so it's the same. The only difference is going to be how many watts per channel, it's not going to beat 50w x4. The eq is what 5 band, compared to 13 band on anything new? How many amp outputs does it have, probably one or none? Does it have a camera input, nope? time alignment, probably not? I can find $100-$150 head units from every manufacturer that do. Some older electronics can function under special circumstances which make them valuable in the right situation, this isn't one of them. The only reason to keep it is because it's nostalgic. Technology wise, it's outdated trash.

Do you really have tapes? Buy a $5 flash drive that 90% of all new head units have inputs for, and you can SKIP SONGS. You can organize all your music in folders, and not just have em on one long line that have to search through to find. Tapes get ruined, are annoying, don't keep quality, and one tape takes up about 5 times as much space as a flash drive.

If you're putting this in an 80s/90s car because you just love flock of seagulls, with neon green hotpants, or too legit to quit and hammer pants, then more power to you. Otherwise, you're going to spend on parts and time what it would cost to buy a new one, all so you can have an alpine name brand and a tape player. Don't take it personal. They were being funny, and trying to tell you not to waste your time and money, but you want to for a reason that probably doesn't even matter, and doesn't make sense. Dude, you've been working on this for 3 1/2 years???? Let it go.
I havent been working on this for that long, I just found a bunch of parts for it that I didnt have before so I wanted to post about it, in case its a rare model for documentation purposes.
as I said if you buy tapes from the ~90s which often arent overpriced and are very great quality, you wont be disapointed.
They also dont deteriorate over time, maybe after 10000 hours of play time they may, but flash storage isnt always that reliable anyway.
If you have better quality speakers (none if this plastic composite modern stuff), they will get earpiercingly loud just at 5-10w.
while THD is indeed gonna be worse with outdated amplifier IC's.

My friend, if you want to restore your cassette player, then do so. But don’t delude yourself into thinking that a 1980’s car cassette player is going to give you great sound quality. There is a reason why everyone abandoned cassettes for more expensive and fragile CD’s as soon as they were viable.

My friend, if you want to restore your cassette player, then do so. But don’t delude yourself into thinking that a 1980’s car cassette player is going to give you great sound quality. There is a reason why everyone abandoned cassettes for more expensive and fragile CD’s as soon as they were viable.
Maybe try growing out of that 'old is trash' dogma and you'll begin to appreciate things for what they are instead of borderline materialistic value.
I wonder what your explanation for people moving away from vynil is? better sound quality hadn't been reached in formats until very recently but yet still most people keep using CD quality MP3's.

I tried to track some Alpine's down on the eBay but only got close.

Maybe try growing out of that 'old is trash' dogma and you'll begin to appreciate things for what they are instead of borderline materialistic value.
I wonder what your explanation for people moving away from vynil is? better sound quality hadn't been reached in formats until very recently but yet still most people keep using CD quality MP3's.
I am not some 22 year old saying that anything old is junk. I am a middle aged man that grew up with cassettes. The sound quality wasn’t great then, and it isn’t great now.
And there is no comparison between cassette and vinyl. That is like comparing VHS tapes to 35mm film.

I am not some 22 year old saying that anything old is junk. I am a middle aged man that grew up with cassettes. The sound quality wasn’t great then, and it isn’t great now.
And there is no comparison between cassette and vinyl. That is like comparing VHS tapes to 35mm film.
Check out one of the many videos showing how cassettes sound.
For example:

And funny that you mention VHS, VHS stereo was used to record very high quality audio, with the infamous 20-20khz, 0.1% wow and flutter spec. Still analog

as I said if you buy tapes from the ~90s which often arent overpriced and are very great quality, you wont be disapointed.
They also dont deteriorate over time, maybe after 10000 hours of play time they may, but flash storage isnt always that reliable anyway.
If you have better quality speakers (none if this plastic composite modern stuff), they will get earpiercingly loud just at 5-10w.
while THD is indeed gonna be worse with outdated amplifier IC's.
Everything you said in this post is nonsense and complete BS that you pulled out of your ass, trying to back up your side.
Vinyl is fragile compared to digital, sounds different, but deteriorates quicker than everything else. FYI they also aren't very compatible with vehicles, when that is where most people listen to their music.

"Better sound quality hasn't been reached until recently"?? Have you not heard of CDs or MP3s? I would love to hear what exactly you think was the new breakthrough in music format.

I was kind of on your side earlier, but now you sound like a buffoon spouting out nonsense, because you don't want to lose this argument over how great your tape player is.

Last edited:
Everything you said in this post is nonsense and complete BS that you pulled out of your ass, trying to back up your side.

Vinyl is fragile compared to digital, sounds different, but deteriorates quicker than everything else. FYI they also aren't very compatible with vehicles, when that is where most people listen to their music.

"Better sound quality hasn't been reached until recently"?? Have you not heard of CDs or MP3s? I would love to hear what exactly you think was the new breakthrough in music format.

I was kind of on your side earlier, but now you sound like a buffoon spouting out nonsense, because you don't want to lose this argument over how great your tape player is.
If you didn't realize, I used vynil as a rhetorical example for when formats don't become outdated because of sound quality but other reasons instead. I.E. Vynil => The convinience of cassettes => convenience of digital audio

"you don't want to lose this argument over how great your tape player is." Who's pulling complete BS out his ass now?
The only argument that you say is BS that I actually made, is that better sound quality only was achieved recently which is true, unless you consider some uncommon format that nobody used, better audio quality only now has become a thing with computers that can play high bitrate flacs, yet how many people you see using high bitrate audio? with a high sampling rate?
if you're the type that say "oh you cannot hear above 20khz and you cannot head a .00x% difference" then get 2 audio files, encode one in aac, the other in opus, at a usual bitrate like 128kbps, and compare the sound.
Then tell me you cannot hear the .000x% difference in format decoding.
Then record some music (high sampling rate!), and then put a 0db sawtooth signal at ~22khz and tell me it doesn't sound like ****? "IT CANNOT, IT ABOVE 20KHZ"

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...