I feel like I might blow my Sundown Audio 12

So I just recently built my own box for a Sundown Audio sa 12 D2. It's 2.3 cubic feet port tuned to 35hz. I also recently went from using to sa 12s to just one because I didn't have the amp powerful enough to push two of them so while I'm waiting for my amp to come I am just running the one in the Box I built and I have it powered by a Phoenix Gold SX 1200.1. Its rated at 1200 watts at 1 ohm 800 watts RMS. Anyway every time I turn my sub up for a while I could smell it burning first it was a voice coils now it just smells like something's burning and it seems like after I play it for a little bit it doesn't hit as hard as it used to until cools down again. I probably already caused irreparable damage. The only thing that I could think of which from what I hear is almost impossible to do is overpower it. So I clamped my Phoenix Gold amp and it said it was putting out 1293 watts. I checked it 3 times and it came up the same way every time. I know the subs can handle a lot of power but it's only rated for 750 can it take almost 1300 Watts constantly?

SA SERIES

You're putting 1200W into a 750W rated sub and asking us why it smells like it is burning. Step back and think about this for a bit.

Also inb4 "clipping" or "clean" or "my buddy runs 3X rated power to Sundown".

lol it's clipping. That amp isn't doing 500 constantly. You may get 1k for a few seconds here and there.
If his sub is burning he is most certainly giving it more than 500W for more than a few seconds.

Do you people even understand what clipping is or how AC power is measured?

acp24.gif

Shaded area = your power averaged over time, now start making that waveform square at the same peak to peak voltage and even at perfectly square wave the shaded area is only about 40% more than the sine wave pictured.

This graphic explains the terms "peak" and "RMS" as they should be used in regards to alternating current.

If his sub is burning he is most certainly giving it more than 500W for more than a few seconds.
Do you people even understand what clipping is or how AC power is measured?

acp24.gif

Shaded area = your power averaged over time, now start making that waveform square at the same peak to peak voltage and even at perfectly square wave the shaded area is only about 40% more than the sine wave pictured.

This graphic explains the terms "peak" and "RMS" as they should be used in regards to alternating current.
A single SA 12 can handle a clean signal from a 1200watt amp on music all day long. Only way your going to kill that woofer from that amp is a dirty signal and playing 100hz tones so the woofer can't cool itself.

A single SA 12 can handle a clean signal from a 1200watt amp on music all day long. Only way your going to kill that woofer from that amp is a dirty signal and playing 100hz tones so the woofer can't cool itself.

Suit yourself.

Forget I said anything, OP, carry on, you'll be fine as long as things are "clean".

Super late reply to this thread, but I'm running 1200+ watts on an SA-12 no problems for months now...if you're burning yours up, you're almost certainly clipping it.

You have to understand reactive loudspeakers and loading I understand what you mean but it's alot more complicated than that.

While I agree that the sub is likely clipping to he'll and back. You maybe playing too low of frequencies for that box. Anything under 30hz is going to strain the suspension of the woofer. Go to low and the sub may unload and actually see constant rms without the coil moving properly to cool. This is unlikely since you would prolly be bottoming out the sub before heating up the coil that much

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

Cassix

Cassix
Seattle,WA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date