I am new to the audio scene. Need help identifying the wiring.

Participant count
  • Participant list

traptify

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have a prebuilt box that came with 2 terminal cups already in place. It is a dual sub box, 2 12" woofers. Boston Accoustic G1's (200RMS @4 ohm SVC). My amp puts out 1250 RMS at 1 ohm stable. I am trying to find the best way to wire them in order to maximize efficiency of the subs. I drew a decent idea of the wiring that is currently getting the job done, however I have no clue if im running the subs at 8-ohm or 2-ohm or what. (Everything is positive to positive, negative to negative.) I don't know if this even changes the impedance, if anyone could help that would be awesome.
sub wiring.png

I have a prebuilt box that came with 2 terminal cups already in place. It is a dual sub box, 2 12" woofers. Boston Accoustic G1's (200RMS @4 ohm SVC). My amp puts out 1250 RMS at 1 ohm stable. I am trying to find the best way to wire them in order to maximize efficiency of the subs. I drew a decent idea of the wiring that is currently getting the job done, however I have no clue if im running the subs at 8-ohm or 2-ohm or what. (Everything is positive to positive, negative to negative.) I don't know if this even changes the impedance, if anyone could help that would be awesome.View attachment 28048

Just Google subwoofer wiring diagram. Crutchfield has a pretty easy one to follow.

If you have 2 4 ohms single vice coil subs hooked up to a mono amp then you are running at 2 ohms.
The only other way to run them would be a a 8 ohm load but you don't want to do that.
If your running pos to pos and neg to neg then your running parallel
When you start hooking neg to positive then its series
With 2 SVC 4 ohm subs on a mono amp 2 ohm is the best you can do
Without know what kind of amp you have I'd say if its 1200 watts @ 1 ohm then its like 800 watts @ 2ohm
But if that 1200 advertise watts is its peak out put then the RMS on it is more like 600
What kind of amp is it

If you have 2 4 ohms single vice coil subs hooked up to a mono amp then you are running at 2 ohms.
The only other way to run them would be a a 8 ohm load but you don't want to do that.
If your running pos to pos and neg to neg then your running parallel
When you start hooking neg to positive then its series
With 2 SVC 4 ohm subs on a mono amp 2 ohm is the best you can do
Without know what kind of amp you have I'd say if its 1200 watts @ 1 ohm then its like 800 watts @ 2ohm
But if that 1200 advertise watts is its peak out put then the RMS on it is more like 600
What kind of amp is it
It is an American Bass PH2500MD 2500w Max (Everywhere i look it says 1250w RMS @ 1 ohm stable)

Ok
That's a pretty good amp. AB makes decent equipment.
That is one of those amps that puts out the same wattage at 4, 2 or 1 ohm so be careful when setting everything up.
Do you know how to use a multi meter to set your gains?

Ok
That's a pretty good amp. AB makes decent equipment.
That is one of those amps that puts out the same wattage at 4, 2 or 1 ohm so be careful when setting everything up.
Do you know how to use a multi meter to set your gains?

i dont have a decent multimeter in order to set the gains, i am really just looking to upgrade the subs and be able to use the amp efficiently. if it puts out ~1250 watts at each ohm setting (1, 2, 4, etc... may have misunderstood) i assume ill need about 600-800 RMS per subs

The subs are only 200 watts RMS
Now some subs can handle being over powered a little bit but if you run 600 watts in those subs they are going to go up in smoke.
200-250 watts is what you want to run if you want your subs to last more than a couple weeks.
Any $20 multimeter will get the job done.
Its a good investment considering it will save you the cost of replacing the subs.
That guys calculations in the video should be exactly what you need
500 watts @ 2ohms
500x2=1000
Square root= 31.62 volts(AC)
Set your HU volume to about 75-80% when you do it

The subs are only 200 watts RMS
Now some subs can handle being over powered a little bit but if you run 600 watts in those subs they are going to go up in smoke.
200-250 watts is what you want to run if you want your subs to last more than a couple weeks.
Any $20 multimeter will get the job done.
Its a good investment considering it will save you the cost of replacing the subs.
That guys calculations in the video should be exactly what you need
500 watts @ 2ohms
500x2=1000
Square root= 31.62 volts(AC)
Set your HU volume to about 75-80% when you do it
i did the math according to the amp manual (1250w * 2ohm = 2500 —> 50 V.) my problem i don’t know how to take that 1250w from amp down to 200-250w to subs

Your using the max power of the amp as your calculation
You want your desired output of the amp
So instead of using 1250 you use 500 and that will give you 250 per sub
which is 31.62 volts AC

i did the math according to the amp manual (1250w * 2ohm = 2500 —> 50 V.) my problem i don’t know how to take that 1250w from amp down to 200-250w to subs
You can do it by ear. Turn the GAIN all the way to 2V. Turn on radio and set to loudest volume you use, with the best bass song you listen to. Now turn the GAIN towards 0.2V until your subs play at a volume you are comfortable with. Your subs will be getting only the power they need, not the full 1250w. This is done with radio's bass all the way up, but the bass boost off.

Your using the max power of the amp as your calculation
You want your desired output of the amp
So instead of using 1250 you use 500 and that will give you 250 per sub
which is 31.62 volts AC
thank you, i’m going to get a mutimeter today and gonna make it boom (in a good way)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...