I am getting confuse........??

Martin
10+ year member

NY
I am getting confuse in chosing my car engine oil. There have 10W40, 10W50, 20W50.....etc. So many type of engine oil..... i wan to know which one is the best choice for my car engine. For your information , i just bought a new car, and i just use for domestically, i seldom use it for long distance.Plzzz give me ur opinion.

Thank You

From Yipee

look in your owners manual it should say what to put in it and when you go with one brand it is usually best to stay with it for lon periods of time

ok, i asked my friend, who works at Chrysler, and he says that the first number is the thickness of the oil in cold weather, and the second number is how thick it is in hot weather. He's really not sure if it gets thicker as the number gets higher, or if it's the other way around, but he's pretty sure that it gets thicker as the number goes up. He knows this for a fact though, for more fuel efficiency and economy, you want an oil that has low numbers(like 10W30 or 5W30). If you own a drag car or something very similar, you want a high second number, and the first number really doesn't matter because you don't drag race in cold weather(and even if you did, they rev the engine to get it up to the right temp).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.