Hybrid 2-Box Mid-Woofer Enclosure: Can it work?

Participant count
  • Participant list

KenN

CarAudio.com Newbie
First time post here and I appreciate the wealth of experience available on this site.

I have a vintage convertible sports car (1976 Fiat 124 Spider) that has been well restored and am wanting to improve the sound quality somewhat while maintaining the originality and realizing it will not be a truly high fidelity system. I'm keeping the original Blaupunkt Frankfurt radio and using the radio's DIN input for a 3.5 mm input. I am using a JL Audio CL441DSP to clean up the audio a bit and feeding that to a JL Audio XD-200-2 class D amp. I chose the amp because of its size and it should mate okay with the JL Audio C2-650 component speakers. The car only has a 55 amp alternator, so class D over A/B buys a little current headroom for the vehicle for things like headlights. :)

Here is my question. There is only room to mount 5-1/4" diameter speakers in the kick panels. So, I acquired MDF boxes whose volume is really too small for the 6-1/2" diameter drivers being only about 0.06 ft^3. The volume behind the kick panels is about 0.6 ft^3, which would be a volume more appropriate to the speakers. How nuts would I be to "port" the small MDF enclosure into the volume behind the kick panel through two 2" diameter holes. This allows me to use the larger diameter drivers that fit into the MDF boxes that mount to the kick panels.

I understand this is very odd and you are free to criticize me all you wish, but I'm still curious as to what you think the results would be. I'm guessing it would probably result in some mid-bass peak in response, but probably much less than if it was not ported into the kick panel. I'm also thinking this would provide somewhat deeper bass than 5-1/4" diameter speakers.

Thanks in advance for any insight or recommendations you might have.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.