HQ Tool Suggestions

Harbor freight is good for hand tools but imo anything powered is junk, my dad bought a “predator” gas auger when he was putting in his fence took it out the box gassed it up fired it up and stick it in the ground to get started digging post holes...the shaft sheared within seconds. He put it back in the box went back to harbor freight and said this thing I just bought an hr ago already broke and they kind of gave him a hard time.

The predator engines are fantastic. Can't comment on the other things attached to the engines though other than the generators which are also great. The employees will tell you to buy an extended warranty with anything expensive from HF and take it back and exchange every year even not broken. They then sell them at their Parking lot sale.

The central pneumatic compressors were hit and miss though. The Mcgraw and Fortress are great though.

The Kobalt line from Lowes is the same as the "Barn star" brand from Tractor Supply and 50% cheaper at TS.

Harbor freight is good for hand tools but imo anything powered is junk, my dad bought a “predator” gas auger when he was putting in his fence took it out the box gassed it up fired it up and stick it in the ground to get started digging post holes...the shaft sheared within seconds. He put it back in the box went back to harbor freight and said this thing I just bought an hr ago already broke and they kind of gave him a hard time.
Yeah, I think that electric stuff really comes down to where it was made at harbor freight. Taiwan factories care a lot more about what products they put out than Chinese ones. It's possible to get good chinese products, but the mentality seems to be whatever they can get by with goes, so you'll constantly see things like metal filings inside of a bearing channel because they weren't cleaned out first. Just half-ass stuff you wouldn't ever see in a taiwan tool.

The only hand tool I've broken from harbor freight on the first use is a pittsburgh brake line (flare nut) wrench, it sheered off one side of the teeth. The midwest brings a high demand for tools that can take some abuse with all of the brine they spray on the roads here. We ended up returning it and filing the nut down until we could hammer the next down size regular wrench on to it which did the trick. The hammering probably helped more than the extra force from the wrench of proper thickness.

The predator engines are fantastic. Can't comment on the other things attached to the engines though other than the generators which are also great.

I know a few people that have used those for golf carts, they seem to be pretty reliable small engines. Project farm on youtube uses them for his oil tests as well. You reminded me also I need to add Briggs and Stratton engines to the list.

They are Honda clones.
I'm not a fan of briggs newer than 15 years old. They have went down hill lately. I went Kawasaki with my new mower.
Damn that's a shame, I've always thought of them as workhorses that just don't die. Then again, Honda makes some pretty good engines too. What problems do you think they're susceptible to now that they weren't 15 years ago?

Briggs has a 1 star rating on consumer affairs. They just started skipping on quality and building them as cheap as possible with trash parts.

I have a Honda GCV engine pressure washer that is at least 10 years old and still starts first pull every single time and has never needed a single part or even the carb cleaned.

Briggs has a 1 star rating on consumer affairs. They just started skipping on quality and building them as cheap as possible with trash parts.

I have a Honda GCV engine pressure washer that is at least 10 years old and still starts first pull every single time and has never needed a single part or even the carb cleaned.
Wow you're right, I guess I have to remove them from the list. https://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/briggs-and-stratton.html

That's pretty much what I've always expected from Briggs (your pressure washer), it's a shame they're selling out these days. I was expecting to see that they had merged with another company or got bought out recently but apparently not. It seems like the quality went down suddenly about 5 years ago. I've got a yard machine from 2012 that has been extremely reliable with no maintenance and a B&S engine. Judging from these reviews though it's a good thing because their customer support has been trash a long time.

I have 2 mowers with the gcv160 Honda motor and it’s damn near bulletproof the older one was rode hard and put away wet before I got it then I further abused it and it still starts first pull every time

I have a Honda 5000ex generator and a couple more. That honda has been through some hard days of running 14-16 hrs at a time and still runs its azz off. I have a Generac 13k(7500 cont) and have had it kept me out in the cold /shut me down more than I can remember.Have a self propelled Troy Built 6.75 lawn mower that just will not DIE! mow through 2ft grass and weeds no problem. Two John Deer Riding mowers(L100. L140,) Both have had issues. Bought a Snapper and never looked back other than to see those J.Deers sitting as I drive bye.

Ive used a Predator generator at a Co. I did some work with and have to say.. Those are some Cheap azzed work horse generators. Run like spotted azzed Pigs.Worth buying

Ive found that harbor tools are really pretty decent The Pitts. Brand that seem to be pretty durable for the price paid.There are some things you just dont buy as with any brand . Pick and choose, best with Lifetime warranty

I have a Honda 5000ex generator and a couple more. That honda has been through some hard days of running 14-16 hrs at a time and still runs its azz off. I have a Generac 13k(7500 cont) and have had it kept me out in the cold /shut me down more than I can remember.Have a self propelled Troy Built 6.75 lawn mower that just will not DIE! mow through 2ft grass and weeds no problem. Two John Deer Riding mowers(L100. L140,) Both have had issues. Bought a Snapper and never looked back other than to see those J.Deers sitting as I drive bye.

Snapper is Briggs and Stratton engine I believe. Looks like Troy-bilts and John Deere use B&S as well. What year were those mowers put out?

It looks like Honda has been recommended by a lot of people now for small engines without anyone knocking it, so I'll add that on the list.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...