How To Isolate and Amplify the Hi-Hat Sound?

Participant count
  • Participants list

CaesarVespasian

CarAudio.com Newbie
CA
I am specifically referring to the basic hi-hat variation, which sounds like a steady "chk chk chk chk" sound, I often hear it as a car comes down the street.

I am not certain if the sound can be heard by the driver inside the car, or only by me on the street.

I have tried to replicate the effect using all different woofer, tweeter, amp and crossover combinations, with six RCA cables in there now, but I so far have not succeeded.

I have consulted instrument frequency charts on-line to correctly locate the sound, but none have been very informative.

I am running low on money and ideas regarding how to isolate and amplify that hi-hat sound, can anyone give me a hand?

What tweeters have you tried? Anything with a waveguide or horn?
What equipment are you currently using?

I may not be a whole lot of help on what specific tweeters to use as your goals are different than what mine are but it’ll help to bump the thread and let others know exactly what you’ve tried already?

"What frequency are high hats?
between 300-3000 Hz

Typical hi-hats are usually between 300-3000 Hz dominant frequencies, and can extend up to 10-17k Hz for crispness, “air” and sparkle. The “shhhhhhhhh” sound is usually found at the 2-3k Hz range."

:unsure:

Honestly I don't know what exactly you are talking about.

I have been using one inch tweeters 70 watts RMS, amplified, but that doesn't work, are the 4-inch speakers meant to be used as a tweeter?

Hi-hats have a range of variations depending on how they are played. The sound I am referring to is made by the 'hi-hat press' operated solely by the drummer's pedal, no stick is used at all.

The crossover allows me to 'multiply frequency x20', but I don't think it makes much difference for this

Try using aluminum dome tweeters. Any brand. Get some cheap ones to see if they are what you seek. Aluminum domes have a very "bright" sound that play well with cymbals and high hats. Guitar solos play to the point of being painful to some listeners, me include. You probably have silk or paper dome tweeters. Even most horn tweeters are plastic or cloth domes.

Not a very detailed list of equipment. 4 inch is typically too large to do a tweeters job. Even full range 4 s need to be on axis to have much of a chance at playing the top end well.
1” 70 watt rms tweeters mean nothing to me. Words like brand,type,how much power going to,crossover points,slope where they’re mounted things of that nature. Pretty much a detailed list of equipment. Some history wouldn’t hurt either since you did say you’ve tried different equipment
Very little information usually leads to very little useful help.

I have been using one inch tweeters 70 watts RMS, amplified, but that doesn't work, are the 4-inch speakers meant to be used as a tweeter?

Hi-hats have a range of variations depending on how they are played. The sound I am referring to is made by the 'hi-hat press' operated solely by the drummer's pedal, no stick is used at all.

The crossover allows me to 'multiply frequency x20', but I don't think it makes much difference for this
tell me a song and the exact minute/second that has the sound you are talking about.
You also need to list every bit and detail of your gear. Source, head unit, tuning, EQ, speaker and amplifier model name and number, what car is this in, where did you mount your tweeters etc..

One song that has this distinct sound is Usher 'My Way'

But is it really about the specific equipment, since I hear this effect coming from many different cars, except for mine of course, so I'm assuming there is a wide range of equipment that will suffice?

I know that Type-R tweeters will go up to approx 100 watts RMS, and that would require an amp that can send 100 watts per channel? However, the more upmarket aluminium ones may have to be next, I just didn't go there before because I was worried this was becoming an obsession LOL

My own research suggests that the actual frequency range is around 8000 Hz, but that may need a crossover that can be very specifically set, what kind of crossover is there that will allow me to explore until I 'strike gold'?

Is there software that will allow me to isolate the musical note to find its frequency range or vice versa?

Last edited:
that chk chck sound is the 8000 to 10khz range
One song that has this distinct sound is Usher 'My Way'

But is it really about the specific equipment, since I hear this effect coming from many different cars, except for mine of course, so I'm assuming there is a wide range of equipment that will suffice?

I know that Type-R tweeters will go up to approx 100 watts RMS, and that would require an amp that can send 100 watts per channel? However, the more upmarket aluminium ones may have to be next, I just didn't go there before because I was worried this was becoming an obsession LOL

My own research suggests that the actual frequency range is around 8000 Hz, but that may need a crossover that can be very specifically set, what kind of crossover is there that will allow me to explore until I 'strike gold'?

Is there software that will allow me to isolate the musical note to find its frequency range or vice versa?

super tweeters are actually right up your alley dude. your current tweeters just arent loud enough in that range.

Well so far all we know for sure is type r tweeters lol. If you want it right the first time as said like 4 times now more information is needed. Source signal is where it all starts. Work your way back. There could be other issues you’re not aware besides those tweeters.For instance factory head unit or something as simple as listing to compressed music files, tuning etc etc could adding to the issues. Lack of details so far.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

CaesarVespasian

CarAudio.com Newbie
CaesarVespasian
CA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from