how much power does it take to break windows?

orphe

CarAudio.com Elite
10+ year member
Feb 22, 2005
Houston
just curious about this... How much power (watts)does it take to shatter the windows in a car/truck/SUV? Wanna get a high end amp but if its gonna damage my Jeep its not worth it...

saywhat?

satx120, jealous?
10+ year member
Apr 25, 2004
H'Burg Mississippi!
just curious about this... How much power (watts)does it take to shatter the windows in a car/truck/SUV? Wanna get a high end amp but if its gonna damage my Jeep its not worth it...
it takes 1 watt. tahts it, just 1 watt. and AMP wont shatter windows, AIR PRESSURE will. fosgate broke theirs with a shit load of power, and ive seen 2 w7's do it in a 350 with 1/10 the power of that van......

LoudCrownVic

1/1 of Team Team Team
10+ year member
Dec 19, 2003
Scales Bump, IL
Ive got an amp that will shatter a window, just ****ing throw it....

Yes, it's all air pressure. It's actually easier to kill windows with highs than to kill them with bass... Seen it on the Discovery channel I think.

btnhfan

Hail to the King Baby!!!!
10+ year member
Jan 27, 2004
CT/ GA Tech, Atlanta
Believe me, you wont blow your windows. Dont worry about it, and dont listen to anyone that said they did, unless they are a competitor in the extreme classes and so forth. For the most part, street driven systems would not stand a chance at blowing a window. IF anything, windows would crack, since they are shatter resistant.

tRiGgEr

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Jan 27, 2004
San Diego, Ca
And most cracks are caused by rattling panels that shake the frame of the window. You will never have to worry about cracking windows. Only if your system is capable of producing 160+ decibles which is extremelly HARD to do.

saywhat?

satx120, jealous?
10+ year member
Apr 25, 2004
H'Burg Mississippi!
Dont worry about it, and dont listen to anyone that said they did,
if ur talkin about me......f*ck u. i saw the window shatter. and im not talkin windshield. windshields are the only windows that have the ability to not shatter. im talkin about a 350 Z's side glass.

MrBill2U

10+ year member
Feb 23, 2004
North Canton, OH
Physics 101 folks...

There are two ways a window could be shattered by speakers:

1) overpressure: same thing that blows up houses in a nuclear explosion. 3 psi overpressure will blow out every window in your house. Real tough to get a 3 psi overpressure in car audio (read: 160+)

2) harmonics: if you find the resonant frequency of your window and can hit that perfect tone inside your car a tiny amount of wattage (read: less than 1) can shatter your window if played for long enough. The same principal can be used to knock over buildings. If you find a skyscraper that has a resonant frequency of 1hz and hit it every second on the second with absolute perfect timing it will sway back and forth... slowly at first then ever more violently until it eventually falls down. same principal as opera singers shattering wine goblets. tap a wine goblet then sing that exact same frequency back at it. If you hit the perfect frequency and hold it long enough you can shatter a wine goblet with your voice. (and I garantee you opera singers can not hit 160+db)

MrBill2U

10+ year member
Feb 23, 2004
North Canton, OH
...doh I forgot the 3rd...

you think that XXX 15 would look great in your doors, so you cut a big arse hole in your door. After a week you are driving down the road and pull into the McDs drivethrough with your system thumping and have to roll down the window (for the first time.. hell it's 90 degrees out!!! thank god for A/C) hitting your magnet on the way down. It stops.. but you aren't one to give up so you keep hitting the down button until the front half of your windows pops out of the track and you drag the back along your XXX 15 and eventually shatter it.

psycho72

Senior VIP Member
10+ year member
Dec 19, 2004
Los Angeles
Back in the day when I was a knucklehead, I had bent windows back far enough to fit my arm in to unlock the the door so I doubt you have anything to worry about.

MrBill2U

10+ year member
Feb 23, 2004
North Canton, OH
Losing sleep over the possibility of shattering your windows is like buying a condom because the Olsen Twins are in town. Could it happen? yep... is it going to? nope.

skeptikal

Hold the wheel and drive
Premium Member
10+ year member
Jul 19, 2004
Indiana, US
Losing sleep over the possibility of shattering your windows is like buying a condom because the Olsen Twins are in town. Could it happen? yep... is it going to? nope.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/ladysman.gif.b3d08666a805020911dd758f82cd9ab0.gif ... hey it could happen lol...

But anywho... Breaking a window with your stereo is like everyone else said almost impossible unless you are doing 160+ db in which case, if you are doing that you should already have your windows replaced with another material....

SSS 18734

Dollar Menu Millionaire
10+ year member
Mar 4, 2005
Kansas City, MO
lol

Yeah I wouldn't worry about breaking your windows

req

am a mod.
10+ year member
Jul 14, 2004
Syracuse, NY
most of the time, the window frame with torque the window- or when the glass was installed, it was flawed. or even the window frame was off by a little putting pressure on it.

the bass dosnt break glass on its own people.

PV Audio

The Vision of Sound
10+ year member
Apr 30, 2004
Indy
u won't break ur windows. a higher frequency tone will shatter glass much more frequently and easier than low frequency. have u ever seen a baritone singer shatter a glass? no? what about a soprano? yes? there you go. even if u think about it, vibrating it 20000 times a second vs 10 times a second will cause it to go faster...in theory.

btnhfan

Hail to the King Baby!!!!
10+ year member
Jan 27, 2004
CT/ GA Tech, Atlanta
if ur talkin about me......f*ck u. i saw the window shatter. and im not talkin windshield. windshields are the only windows that have the ability to not shatter. im talkin about a 350 Z's side glass.
No, actually I wasnt.

He might have read this on some amplifier reviews on cardomain, or on ebay, saying somethin like..

"This amp is so loud it blew out all my windows"!!!!!

Thats what I was warning him against

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 13)

Trending topics

Latest classifieds