How many watt RMS speakers to buy

Participant count
  • Participants list

Drifter mike

CarAudio.com Recruit
Greece
Hello, i have installed an aftermarket pioneer stereo (deh- s320bt) in my car which says "output power: 50 (*4) watts" . Until how many watts RMS speakers can i buy? Cause i dont know if this "50" is watt RMS. For example if i place 80 Watt RMS speakers in my car, will the stereo be burnt?

Buy low wattage/high sensitivity rated speakers if using head unit power.

Example: 40w rms 96db and stick to 4 ohm speakers.

To your question. No if you listen at low volume. Yes if you like to turn it up loud. They will distort easily on head unit power. Try to stick to low power and sensitivity over 90db's

Example:

Say that 80w speaker only has a sensitivity of 84db and a 40w speaker has a sensitivity of 93db. At the same volume on the head unit the 40w speaker will be much louder. The same goes if they have the same power ratings but different sensitivity ratings. The higher sensitivity will be louder at the same volume.

Example:

Say that 80w speaker only has a sensitivity of 84db and a 40w speaker has a sensitivity of 93db. At the same volume on the head unit the 40w speaker will be much louder. The same goes if they have the same power ratings but different sensitivity ratings. The higher sensitivity will be louder at the same volume.
I have found some speakers (Jbl stage2 604C) which are: 45 watt RMS, 270 watt max power, 91 db sensitivity, 55Hz-20kHz and 4ohms. Dou you think its a good option ?

Nice choice on the speakers, even if the speakers are being run off the head unit, a component speaker will provide a larger sound stage then conventional 2 way speakers that is aimed at your feet! :)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...