how many layers of sound deadener?

whats wrong with fat mat i would like to use raammat or second skin but the price is double and i foud the fat mat works pretty good
As far as I or anybody else can tell, it's Peel & Seal - cheap roofing rapair stuff you can buy at Lowes for less. Even if it were worth using, it's a poor value considering what it is.

FatMat is asphalt. It works poorly and is pretty likely to melt or fall off.

You will get a much better job using less of a better product and you will not have to worry about wasting time, money and possibly ruining your car.

With Vibration damping, the more the better.

As pointed out, there is a point of deminishing returns.

1 Layer of constraint layer damping mat @ .5 lbs. psi is can yield an ALF of .10 or so.

Adding a second layer of mat will crank the ALF up to about .27 or so

a 3rd layer will get you up to about .33 then .36 and so forth.

So 2 or 3 layers is ideal depending on the budget.

The more a product weighs and the thicker it is the more it will dampen vibrations too. so a 45 mil product weighing .35 lbs. psi will only yield a .06 rating..

The strength of the foil and the viscosity of the adhesive layer all contribute to the range of frequencies that will be most reduced with the product.

The more firm the adhesive the lower the frequencies will be killed.

Softer butyl or asphalt will dampen high range noise.

Hope that helps

ANT

http://www.secondskinaudio.com
PS I? I think you mean #'s / sq ft.

With Vibration damping, the more the better.

As pointed out, there is a point of deminishing returns.

1 Layer of constraint layer damping mat @ .5 lbs. psi is can yield an ALF of .10 or so.

Adding a second layer of mat will crank the ALF up to about .27 or so

a 3rd layer will get you up to about .33 then .36 and so forth.

So 2 or 3 layers is ideal depending on the budget.

The more a product weighs and the thicker it is the more it will dampen vibrations too. so a 45 mil product weighing .35 lbs. psi will only yield a .06 rating..

The strength of the foil and the viscosity of the adhesive layer all contribute to the range of frequencies that will be most reduced with the product.

The more firm the adhesive the lower the frequencies will be killed.

Softer butyl or asphalt will dampen high range noise.

Hope that helps

ANT

http://www.secondskinaudio.com

This is a 16 year old thread you are quoting people on....

really.jpg

Well, you know I was a mechanical inspector for QC at companies like US Surgical, Electrolux, Siemens and I know a thing or two about nomeclature. But, I'm retired and sometimes it's just fun to break the rules. HEE-HAW, partner. BTW, I have a 150 IQ, dummy.

I have a 150 IQ, dummy.
It's cool. A lot of high IQ people are a bit socially awkward or on the spectrum. I think the takeaway here is that up in the top left of the text you are quoting it shows the date on which the comment was posted. Replying to a member who hasn't been active in over a decade in a 15 year old thread is typically considered bad manners in online forums. Welcome aboard and just mind the post dates or Pop's pet goat will get diabetes.

I doubled up with some inexpensive Kilmat in my trunk cargo area and lid. Sounds like my lid is filled with concrete now. It's shockingly quiet from the outside now and noticeably quieter in the cab... when the subs aren't kicking like mad, lol.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...