how loud is your sub compared to your mids/highs?

Participant count
  • Participants list

nauc
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
USA
for most music, i like about 5 dbs (or so) more bass than my mids/highs. JLs target curve is like 10-12dbs louder, starting to get louder around 200hz and below. i feel thats too loud for rap/electronic

just curious

for most music, i like about 5 dbs (or so) more bass than my mids/highs. JLs target curve is like 10-12dbs louder, starting to get louder around 200hz and below. i feel thats too loud for rap/electronic

just curious
Typically people like EQ curves that look like a smile with low and high frequency boosted. Outside of someone trying to flat-line an RTA you won't see true flat response curves in anybody's audio system.

You're in a place where people have sub stage capable of 160dB or thereabouts and that intensity at 400hz is more useful for area denial crowd control non-lethal weaponry than enjoying music.

Human ears hear mids more than any other frequency range. That is why most people prefer a smile or V shaped graphic eq setting with the mids cut. Doing this makes the music sound more even in volume across the frequency range.

I can tell you I have set my EQ's before using REW and my DSP to where the actual sound was flat when measured and it was AWFUL. I mean AWFUL. When I set the mids as the reference DB level I set the bass (80hz and below) about 10db higher and the highs (8-10khz and up) about 3db lower slowly rolling off and went from there. It sounded MUCH better.

^ but doesnt the mean the people who made the music are making music that sounds like ass?

if we all had flat fq responses, and all songs sounded awesome thru our gear, the people who made the music, did a good job, right?

;)

Flat on an eq isn’t how it was intended to be heard. It was recorded having all kinds of adjustments made, as listeners we try to replicate this only using our preferences. We only guess how it was intended to be heard and our only resource is what appeals to us the listeners. Luckily the eq or bass treble knobs allow us to simply fine tune to our liking.

My subs are way the hell louder than my front stage but that is to be expected. I'm pumping 8,000 watts to both of my DD subs but my 4 8" speakers and pair of supertweeters can't come anywhere close to the sub volume. It's one thing to hit 140db with subs but getting 140 from your front stage is practically impossible unless you are ready to crank an unholy amount of speakers with tons of power to your front stage.

Right now, my front stage will do around mid 130's easy, and my sub stage around a 158 ....
It does ok together now, but when i was a mid 60 in sub stage, my front stage was no where enough to keep up ....

Another factor for ideal sound is the drivers. Some are capable of producing lower frequencies and some better at highs. This is relatively independent of size. Of course subs are different. This is a reason for having eq, lpf and hpf.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...