How do I power all 8 of my speakers (I’m a newbie)

Participant count
  • Participants list

Spooklorky

CarAudio.com Newbie
So I’m super new to car audio and want to upgrade my 2009 Toyota Corolla s. I figured out my car has the 8 channel speaker trim package so it has 4 door speakers (I think they a woofers) 2 tweeters and 2 more speakers behind the back seats (idk if what they are). I think that means I need an 8 channel head unit but I don’t think those even exist. I don’t know what I should even be looking for to power all 8 of the speakers. Eventually I want to upgrade the speakers themselves but for now all I can really afford is a new head unit but I don’t even know if that’s what I need. If someone could please be so nice and tell me what I should be looking for or where I can find the information that will teach me what to do that would be awesome. Thanks for reading and I’m sorry if I posted this in the wrong spot or if this a dumb question. :)

So I’m super new to car audio and want to upgrade my 2009 Toyota Corolla s. I figured out my car has the 8 channel speaker trim package so it has 4 door speakers (I think they a woofers) 2 tweeters and 2 more speakers behind the back seats (idk if what they are). I think that means I need an 8 channel head unit but I don’t think those even exist. I don’t know what I should even be looking for to power all 8 of the speakers. Eventually I want to upgrade the speakers themselves but for now all I can really afford is a new head unit but I don’t even know if that’s what I need. If someone could please be so nice and tell me what I should be looking for or where I can find the information that will teach me what to do that would be awesome. Thanks for reading and I’m sorry if I posted this in the wrong spot or if this a dumb question. :)

This site sells everything that fits your vehicle.

If all you want to do is install a new head unit, they sell adapter for that so it's almost plug and play.

Could keep the hu and buy a amplifier with a built in dsp or a separate dsp and amp/amplifiers.
Alpine has an 8 ch amp with dsp. It's expensive but leaves lots of room to grow..

This site sells everything that fits your vehicle.

If all you want to do is install a new head unit, they sell adapter for that so it's almost plug and play.
Thank you for the help I’ll definitely use that website it seems to be pretty comprehensive.

Could keep the hu and buy a amplifier with a built in dsp or a separate dsp and amp/amplifiers.
Alpine has an 8 ch amp with dsp. It's expensive but leaves lots of room to grow..
Thanks, I will look into buying an amp because it seems those usually have more channels and will be able to power aftermarket speakers better.

Thanks, I will look into buying an amp because it seems those usually have more channels and will be able to power aftermarket speakers better.
If you try amping the factory speakers without a dsp you'll be pretty disappointed.
I'd suggest a little amplification and digital sound processing (dsp) plus sound treatment for the doors ie sound deadening
Adding a dsp and sound treatment will do more in improving the sound then just adding power. Adding power alone will likely make it worse.
You can do the sound treatment first that will improve it then go from there

deck, good comps up front, sub in the trunk, amp or 2 = probably best way to do it.

not waste money that way, and sound hella good

tons of speakers dont necessarily mean better sound. less is usually more

By 8 speakers does it mean front mid and tweeter and rear mid and tweeter? If so two component sets and a 4 channel is all you would need. But I don't care for rear speakers.

My car had the 10 speaker system which was just front mids, tweeters, a center speaker, rear mids, tweeters, and a subwoofer. Now it's just front mids and tweeters and a subwoofer.

By 8 speakers does it mean front mid and tweeter and rear mid and tweeter? If so two component sets and a 4 channel is all you would need. But I don't care for rear speakers.

My car had the 10 speaker system which was just front mids, tweeters, a center speaker, rear mids, tweeters, and a subwoofer. Now it's just front mids and tweeters and a subwoofer.
I think I only have 2 tweeters unless there are more hidden inside my doors because I haven’t taken my car apart yet. From what I understand most people are telling me that I don’t need to use ever speaker. I think I will get a nice 4 channel head unit but I still have to figure out if I can connect my tweeters to that too but if not I’ll just get a 6 channel head. I don’t need to power the speakers behind my back seats and I can save a couple bucks by not having to buy 8 speakers.

deck, good comps up front, sub in the trunk, amp or 2 = probably best way to do it.

not waste money that way, and sound hella good

tons of speakers dont necessarily mean better sound. less is usually more
Is doesn’t matter how many channels my head unit has if I’m using an amp right? Or do I still connect some speakers to the head unit and just the sub to the amp?

If you try amping the factory speakers without a dsp you'll be pretty disappointed.
I'd suggest a little amplification and digital sound processing (dsp) plus sound treatment for the doors ie sound deadening
Adding a dsp and sound treatment will do more in improving the sound then just adding power. Adding power alone will likely make it worse.
You can do the sound treatment first that will improve it then go from there
Thank you so much as I had no clue what a dsp was and my goal is really just to make my car sound better not to just increase volume. It seems like I would be best off saving some money and just re doing my whole system for the best sound quality.

Thank you so much as I had no clue what a dsp was and my goal is really just to make my car sound better not to just increase volume. It seems like I would be best off saving some money and just re doing my whole system for the best sound quality.
Certainly eliminating some speakers would be ideal. Really just need 5 channels total. 2 for highs 2 for mids 1 for a sub. A good aftermarket hu will have 6 channel pre outs for amplification. A 5 channel amp or a 4 channel amp and a mono amp is all you need. As long as the stock hu isn't too integrated with the car and can easily be changed with a good aftermarket hu probably get you the best affordable results. Unfortunately it all cost a bit. It'll depend on what you want out of out of the hu on how much but there are some pretty good amplifiers and speakers on the market that are reasonable.
I'd prep your doors in the meantime. You'd probably be surprised what sealing off the holes in the door panels and directing the sound into the car,instead of being lost in the door panel, will do for the sound of the factory speakers. Car doors are less than ideal for a speaker enclosure.

Is doesn’t matter how many channels my head unit has if I’m using an amp right? Or do I still connect some speakers to the head unit and just the sub to the amp?

if using an amp, not really. most decks have 4-6 channels. you have to have the right amount of rca outs for the amps tho. most decks have 3 sets of rca outs. 2 sets for main speakers, 1 set for sub

and you can run speakers off the deck and run speakers off amps at the same time. like right now, im running my 2 tweeters off the front 2 channels of my deck. 2 mids off the rear 2 channels of my deck. and my 1 sub off an amp

most people amp everything tho. usually sounds best that way. i just havent gotten around to that yet

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.