How do I get full range signal from stock head unit to send to subwoofer amplifier.

Mragonzo

CarAudio.com Newbie
So I have a 2015 Honda Accord LX model with a stock stereo. I installed a 12 inch sub in a custom box with a 2000 watt mono block. I was setting my gains using a multimeter and when I played a 30 hz test tone I noticed a substantialy less value in voltage than with a 40 hz test tone. I've done my research and found out the signal from my rear speaker wire I spliced into and sent through my LOC is not a full range signal. I've read countless forums of people suggesting to Install an aftermarket head unit but I want to keep my factory one because the price to install a kit in this vehicle is almost $800. So my question is what are my other options in sending a full range signal to my subwoofer so It can play those really low 20-30hz tones. It's a 12 inch sub in a box tuned to 28 hz so It ***** not being able to get the full bass range sent to it. Thanks for any pointers I appreciate it!

Thanks for any pointers I appreciate it!
If you are connected to the rear door speakers, then you are getting full range signal.
One thing you want to look at is the Subsonic filter on the amplifier. It is meant to block bass frequencies that are lower than the setting you choose. Most start at 50Hz and drop from there. You also want to note the tuning frequency of your sub box. IIRC, you set the Subsonic a few Hertz below that tuning frequency. Otherwise you may get what is called off loading. It is when the voicecoil clears the pole piece and gets lodged. I am not 100% on Subsonic setting in relation to the box tuning frequency, so I hope someone well versed in it chimes in.

I’m not sure how a loc works yet full range isn’t what your subs want. Up to 100hz is max the subs should play. Do you mean somehow the lows are being missed or diverted away?
If this is the case check your low pass filter setting.
Have your hu bass, treble and eq set flat.
Use the subsonic filter on the amp.
Set lpf on the amp to 80hz
Check your sub and amp specs to be sure they’re capable of playing 20hz-30hz.
How was it tuned to 28hz?
I think my subs have an optimal tune or hz frequency yet from box to box that will change. So I can’t say bc I put them in a box that they’re tuned to any frequency until I verify at what frequency they’re tuned to. Then if I wanted I could change that by using methods to raise or lower that set frequency.

If you are connected to the rear door speakers, then you are getting full range signal.
One thing you want to look at is the Subsonic filter on the amplifier. It is meant to block bass frequencies that are lower than the setting you choose. Most start at 50Hz and drop from there. You also want to note the tuning frequency of your sub box. IIRC, you set the Subsonic a few Hertz below that tuning frequency. Otherwise you may get what is called off loading. It is when the voicecoil clears the pole piece and gets lodged. I am not 100% on Subsonic setting in relation to the box tuning frequency, so I hope someone well versed in it chimes in.
My Honda only has speakers in the rear deck and the front doors. I'm positive it's not getting a full range signal from doing other research many other people are having the same issue. My subsonic on my amp is set to 25 hz so I know that's not the issue. I'm just wondering if there's a way to bypass the head units built in subsonic filter so my subwoofer can see the lower frequencys. The bass starts to roll off dramatically going below 40 hz.

I've heard subsonic should be about 6 hz. Lower than your box tuning. My box is tuned around 33 hz. and my subs will unload if I play under 28 hz. at full tilt. Just my experience. I could be wrong.

I’m not sure how a loc works yet full range isn’t what your subs want. Up to 100hz is max the subs should play. Do you mean somehow the lows are being missed or diverted away?
If this is the case check your low pass filter setting.
Have your hu bass, treble and eq set flat.
Use the subsonic filter on the amp.
Set lpf on the amp to 80hz
Check your sub and amp specs to be sure they’re capable of playing 20hz-30hz.
How was it tuned to 28hz?
I think my subs have an optimal tune or hz frequency yet from box to box that will change. So I can’t say bc I put them in a box that they’re tuned to any frequency until I verify at what frequency they’re tuned to. Then if I wanted I could change that by using methods to raise or lower that set frequency.
Yeah I didn't mean so my sub plays full range I just meant the frequencies below 40 hz because my head unit has a built in subsonic filter so that the factory speakers don't play the sub bass (below 40 hz is when it rolls off). It's a Skar VXF 12 sub. I've seen many videos of people playing in the 20-30hz range and the manual says as well. The problem is it's not getting enough power at those frequencies because I can send the full range signal to the amplifier. My low pass filter is also set to 80hz.

I've heard subsonic should be about 6 hz. Lower than your box tuning. My box is tuned around 33 hz. and my subs will unload if I play under 28 hz. at full tilt. Just my experience. I could be wrong.
Yeah I've even tried with the subsonic off just to see how many ac volts of power my amp is seeing when playing a 30hz test tone and it's only 2 volts compared to when I play a 40 hz test tone it's putting out 38 volts which is what I set it to when setting the gain. Looks like I may just have to get an aftermarket head unit after all that will allow me to disable the low pass and high pass cross overs. That's the problem is my head unit has them built in without the ability to turn them off.

That's the problem is my head unit has them built in without the ability to turn them off.
In this case, there are DSPs that have a signal leveler. It takes pre-set high level signals that are meant to protect OEM speakers and levels them. This is so you could keep OEM radios that are too integrated or are just downright nice.

In this case, there are DSPs that have a signal leveler. It takes pre-set high level signals that are meant to protect OEM speakers and levels them. This is so you could keep OEM radios that are too integrated or are just downright nice.
Do you know of any that have this feature? At this point I'm willing to do whatever. If you could recommend a dsp that would be great

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...