How close to peak power do you all push your components?

I have always placed the crossovers just under the front seats or just under the dash reachable so that if I decide to make changes, the wiring is very accessable, and the Crossovers usually stay a little cooler than shoved behind a kick panel collecting Heat
I have a perfect cubby for the crossovers right inside the door panel. When I tear it apart to run wire, I will snap a pic or two.

I have a perfect cubby for the crossovers right inside the door panel. When I tear it apart to run wire, I will snap a pic or two.
INSIDE Door panels are not a great environment for any cross over unit.Heat is one Killer, and Moisture is another, and last but not least.. Vibration is another

INSIDE Door panels are not a great environment for any cross over unit.Heat is one Killer, and Moisture is another, and last but not least.. Vibration is another
Man, there really isn’t many other options, this is a fifth gen Prelude...there isn’t a bunch of room. I am doing some preventative measures, to make it last. I can’t do much about the heat, but the vibration, and moisture, I can.
Space is the biggest factor....there is none, and these Boston crossovers are not small.
Under the seat is not an option, under the dash is very iffy....in the trunk, would probably be the best bet, but then I Would have to rethink a lot of things.

Man, there really isn’t many other options, this is a fifth gen Prelude...there isn’t a bunch of room. I am doing some preventative measures, to make it last. I can’t do much about the heat, but the vibration, and moisture, I can.
Space is the biggest factor....there is none, and these Boston crossovers are not small.
Under the seat is not an option, under the dash is very iffy....in the trunk, would probably be the best bet, but then I Would have to rethink a lot of things.
Trunk would be just fine..I used to place Crossovers just after the amp and run the wires( different colors,Silver and copper for the Mids and like Blk and red for the tweets) that way i never got them mixed up or run like12 ga to mids and 14-16 ga to tweets

I’ll have to do a bit of studying my car, and see if I can find a better location, I really don’t think under the dash is an option. But I’ll look tomorrow, to see if I can do anything.
At this point in my build, a change like this, won’t cause too much chaos, thanks for pointing out a probable issue, so I can correct it.

I’ll have to do a bit of studying my car, and see if I can find a better location, I really don’t think under the dash is an option. But I’ll look tomorrow, to see if I can do anything.
At this point in my build, a change like this, won’t cause too much chaos, thanks for pointing out a probable issue, so I can correct it.
In all my 240s Ive had and Integras, There was always that 3/4" up to 1" bottom crash dummy steel bar that went the length of the bottom of the dash that I always placed my component crossovers on to get some air and have access to them

Have you considered going active? I feel like if you're going to go through the trouble of bi-amping with a passive crossover, then going fully active with a dsp would be the next big step up with way better results. The dayton dsp has the bluetooth module where you can tune and play music through bluetooth; bypassing the headunit completely. It's pretty small and could be tucked in the trunk somewhere. It's not that expensive either. Another thing to keep in mind is that there is a lot of wasted power in a passive crossover setup. Once you get rid of that in the whole equation, then it will no longer be a hindrance and you can tune the speakers however you like without limitations and also be very efficient in the power it takes in. You'll notice your gains will actually be lower to reach the same loudness because it's separated into its own channels. It doesn't need gobs of power like a passive setup.

I like how some companies make the bi-amping option in their crossovers, which is cool but after trying it and hearing the difference myself, it didn't make that much of a difference in sound except that you can control the tweeter and mids separately. That's about it. Nothing special. Might have 2 or 3 settings that you can play around with but it still feels very limited. If you get rid of the crossover and put each speaker on their own channels, you can time align them and eq them and set your own crossovers with a finer tune. I'm just saying that's what I would do if I had your vehicle with the current setup you have. Something to think about..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.