Hooking up a Cap

• Thread starter <Capacitor_Help>
  • Start date
  • Replies 4
  • Views 2K
    Participant count
  • Participant list
was there an instruction manual with it? If not this is how I hooked up my cap according to a Street Wires instruction book. Run your main power cable from the battery to as close to your amp as possible. Hook that up to the positive terminal on the cap and then run a second wire from there into the amp. Run a ground from the negative terminal of the cap to a metal grounding point (preferably within a few feet of the cap). Next it will need to be charged. I have heard many poeple on this site say that to charge it all you need to do is hook it up and let your car run for a while. Although that may work, the instruction manual said to place a risistor in the place of the fuse on the main power cable under your hood. The only problem is, I can't remember how many ohms the risistor needed to be. Anyhow, with the resistor in place, it only takes 10 minutes or so to charge the cap. Be careful because the resistor gets really hot.

all you need to do is let the car run for like 5 minutes, then the cap will be ready to go. that resister stuff is true, but it is a waste of time

hopefully, your cap should be marked pos and neg or + and -. If not, the manufacturer should be summarily executed!!! Provided your amp already has a sufficient power cable run from the battery, you'll want to T-off this cable as close to your amp as possible, connecting it to the pos. side of the cap. The neg side of the cap should then be connected securely to the nearest ground spot, again using a thick gauge wire/cable. It's that simple!!

one more addition--as far as running a resistor or fuse to the cap, unless you're sadomasochistic and are going to discharge the thing afterwards (wanna go blind from a superspark???), I'd say the fuse you have with your amp is fine. Also, if you're ever doing work to your car and have to disconnect the battery, BE CAREFUL not to touch the pos and negative cables--even with the battery disconnected. You'll quickly discover what a joule is if u don't already know.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.