hey u all need to read this

jaygeorge1979
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
ok not really just curious if anyone can tell me if what i want to do will draw too much power from my battery....i will be running a 4oo watt amp, undercar neon kit, undercar strobelights, and a acdc power converter to run a house hold blacklight in my car...can anyone tell me if this will be too much work for my battery or alternator....thanks

Well, first of all, i'm no electrical master. But i do know that it depends on what ampere your alternator is putting out and at what rpm. If you plan on sitting in your driveway bumbing all night long, then what you want is an alternator that puts out the most amps at a low rpm, like at idle. If you plan on getting some huge system, i definately reccomend getting a new alternator. Try to find out if there was ever a police car of whatever car you have. If there was, get a police alternator. Police alternators are made to make the most power at idle, because when they stop to get out of the car and do whatever, they have their lights on, all the flashers, maybe the siren, whatever, they're made to put out a lot of amp's at a low rpm, and that's what you want, so find a police alternator. If not, find a better one than the stock, because stock anything *****. Next, I have an 88 mustang that has an 85 amp alternator and some stock quality battery. I'm running a 425W amp, and with it all the way up, sometimes i can stall the car because it runs out of juice, and i don't have all the fancy lights and stuff. So, I suggest that you either A. Get a capacitor or B. get a better alternator. (of course, that's just my oppinion) Also, one more note, neon lights don't take much power to use, so you might be fine with what you have, just try your setup, and if it doesn't work, than do something about it then.

Ive never had any sort of problem with my battery or alternator going out and ive got a 700w amp, a 300w amp, 2 tv's, dreamcast, dvd player, neon kits, and strobes all running at idle at the same time. The only thing I could think of that heps me do this is my 1 farad cap and my battery (interstate). But even those arent that great of components. Maybe its just my raw buick power...

Ok im starting to ramble...I dont think you have much to worry about, except getting pulled over for strobe lights...they hate that here in kentucky.

well the cap wont help anything untill your alt is up to par....the cap would just be somthing else your alt would have to be sending power to...good luck

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.