Help with modern receiver that has VERY good AM reception

Pajero

CarAudio.com Newbie
In ALL the car stereo shops I go to, I am told that modern aftermarket stereos simply have zilch in AM reception. I am installing into a 1994 Japanese market import Pajero (right hand drive) that is converted to postal use. I want EITHER a modern after market radio with every good AM reception and bluetooth or, maybe easier, an older OEM from any brand that has an AUX input that can just be wired in. I already bought one that I cannot use because it needs computerized input. Argh. Any suggestions?

I could not find any reviews for this that mention how well it receives AM. I do not need th e'vintage' look so that does not matter. It would (actually) look kind of silly in this vehicle but I care mar about being able to listen to the AM band in my area (the only ones that carry oldie radio stations around here). And using he phone as a radio feed does not work became of the dearth of phone towers. Anyway, thank you for the suggestion. will keep looking... Blessings....

Weird becauseI have a Kenwood KDC-X998 and a Pioneer DEH-80PRS and I can pick up AM stations from Chicago when I am in Green Bay and that is around 280-300 miles away. Never a single issue with AM. I have more issues with FM with Modern Radios these past few years regardless of the brand, type of antenna be it in the windshield or on the fender like the old days.

In ALL the car stereo shops I go to, I am told that modern aftermarket stereos simply have zilch in AM reception. I am installing into a 1994 Japanese market import Pajero (right hand drive) that is converted to postal use. I want EITHER a modern after market radio with every good AM reception and bluetooth or, maybe easier, an older OEM from any brand that has an AUX input that can just be wired in. I already bought one that I cannot use because it needs computerized input. Argh. Any suggestions?
Is that sorta like a compact Montero?

Weird becauseI have a Kenwood KDC-X998 and a Pioneer DEH-80PRS and I can pick up AM stations from Chicago when I am in Green Bay and that is around 280-300 miles away. Never a single issue with AM. I have more issues with FM with Modern Radios these past few years regardless of the brand, type of antenna be it in the windshield or on the fender like the old days.
All of teh shops say it is hit or miss, but mostly misspend that one of the same model may get good reception and one other may not. HOWEVER.. I will see if I can find a review for either that includes info on AM reception. The last five or six 'best picks' reviews I have read they say NOTHING about AM reception and I wonder how you can review a product without looking into ALL of their functions. Thanks for the recommendation to check these two. I have Pioneer receivers in all of my older vehicles and ll of them are still going strong after more than 20 years...

Pioneer used to always have the best tuner sections in their head units but I can't imagine anybody is putting a lot of effort into improving AM reception these days.

I'd suggest call up Crutchfield and tell them that is your priority and see what they can offer. They sell a lot of stuff and get a lot of feedback from people. They also might be helpful if whatever you buy totally ***** and you need to return/exchange it.

Pioneer used to always have the best tuner sections in their head units but I can't imagine anybody is putting a lot of effort into improving AM reception these days.

I'd suggest call up Crutchfield and tell them that is your priority and see what they can offer. They sell a lot of stuff and get a lot of feedback from people. They also might be helpful if whatever you buy totally ***** and you need to return/exchange it.
I tried that and they DID say they would back it up (whatever I bought) but agreed with you that AM is just not a priority. Everyone is going ot bluetooth or satellite or CarPlay. So who cares? The biggest problem for me is I do not want ot pay for satellite forever and the cell towers just have holes where I work. Anyway, yes, Crutchfield does have really good customer service.

I am looking at a GM OEM unit from about 2000 that has CD and an AUX jack, but wonder if this is one that needs to have the computer inputs to drive it. I got one from a 2006 Dodge truck but could not install it in the older vehicle (sad).
If someone knows what the cutoff years are where I can just wire it in and drive it off eh 12 volt, that might solve quite a few problems. Good discussion here and lots of good suggestions. I appreciate it.

I tried that and they DID say they would back it up (whatever I bought) but agreed with you that AM is just not a priority. Everyone is going ot bluetooth or satellite or CarPlay. So who cares? The biggest problem for me is I do not want ot pay for satellite forever and the cell towers just have holes where I work. Anyway, yes, Crutchfield does have really good customer service.

I am looking at a GM OEM unit from about 2000 that has CD and an AUX jack, but wonder if this is one that needs to have the computer inputs to drive it. I got one from a 2006 Dodge truck but could not install it in the older vehicle (sad).
If someone knows what the cutoff years are where I can just wire it in and drive it off eh 12 volt, that might solve quite a few problems. Good discussion here and lots of good suggestions. I appreciate it.

I just can't see anything stock beating aftermarket and integration may be troublesome. Consider also 20 year old electronics are prone to failure so you may not get much life out of an antique AC Delco even if you can find and integrate one.

I'd say it may be best to buy a purpose built AM/Shortwave type portable radio. Some may even have adequate headphone output that you could run that into an AUX in on an aftermarket head unit if you care to try to integrate. C.Crane radios are very nice, my dad has one and it pulls shortwave surprisingly well. If anybody is putting R&D into good reception on those niche bands it would be a company like that into that style unit I think.

Have you explored a better antenna??? I think they make amplified antennas. If you are not located near a large metropolitan area, your reception will be spotty. I live in a rural area and the AM radio signal stinks. I gave up and went with the satellite radio. I get any kind of music I want and no commercials.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.