Help with existing car audio setup

Participant count
  • Participant list
Let me present you with my current setup to see if this is something you can help me figure out. I’ve tried everything that I can think of and the issue is still present.

2017 Lexus RX350 (Not Mark Levinson system)

P1000X Rockford Fosgate amp
Factory head unit
Speaker wire going to factory amp that controls center channel speaker (voice/nav control functions preserved)
Wiring harness going from factory amp to JL Audio fix 86 (4-channel) DSP (speaker wire à RCA)
RCA connectors going from fix 86 to RF amp in trunk
10” RF Subwoofer

Gains turned up halfway on front, rear, and sub inputs
Frequency mode set to ‘All Pass’

Front speakers: Component set of Hertz Mille Pro (6.5” and 1” tweeter)
Rear speakers: Component set of Hertz Mille Pro (6.5” and 1” tweeter)
Passive crossovers installed with front and rear speakers (setting: TW +2)
Sub: RF P3D4 10”
Amp: RF Punch 1000W 5-channel amp

I’m getting an intermittent buzzing that seems to only affect the front channel speakers both at idle and in motion. It’s almost like the sound starts at the front/left side at the tweeters and then gradually makes its way to the front/right side. I don’t hear any of it in the rear speakers but I don’t spend much time in the back seat of the vehicle.

When in motion, there is a buzzing, also in the front channel speakers, which is present, and gets louder when the accelerator is pressed.

I have verified that the ground cable Is the same size at the power cable @ 4AWG and it is grounded in the trunk of my car at one of the factory earth ground points (bolt with washer labeled ‘E’).

I’ve tried adjusting the gains on the amp, buying new rcas for the front, swapping rcas with the rear channel, and installing an rca channel noise filter (PAC-SNI-1) and wrapping it in electrical tape to shield the ground cable that comes with it, but the problem is still present.

I am stumped and am extremely receptive to any feedback/direction that you can provide. Please help.

Sounds like a ground loop. You could try grounding in a different spot and making certain power wires aren't ran with audio wire if possible. Grounding the head unit in the same spot as my amp solved my ground loop issue in my S10.

Sounds like a ground loop. You could try grounding in a different spot and making certain power wires aren't ran with audio wire if possible. Grounding the head unit in the same spot as my amp solved my ground loop issue in my S10.
Thanks for the note. I read that one should try to make the ground run as short as possible, so with my amp being installed in my trunk, I assumed the earth ground point there would make the most sense. I believe the factory head unit is grounded up near the quarter panel under the dash. Would that make a difference? Please note that the power cable is running from the amp in the trunk along the baseboards through the firewall to the battery, so if I grounded at the same point as the head unit, the ground cable would be right next to the power cable. I'm not sure if that's an issue.

Let me present you with my current setup to see if this is something you can help me figure out. I’ve tried everything that I can think of and the issue is still present.

2017 Lexus RX350 (Not Mark Levinson system)

P1000X Rockford Fosgate amp
Factory head unit
Speaker wire going to factory amp that controls center channel speaker (voice/nav control functions preserved)
Wiring harness going from factory amp to JL Audio fix 86 (4-channel) DSP (speaker wire à RCA)
RCA connectors going from fix 86 to RF amp in trunk
10” RF Subwoofer

Gains turned up halfway on front, rear, and sub inputs
Frequency mode set to ‘All Pass’

Front speakers: Component set of Hertz Mille Pro (6.5” and 1” tweeter)
Rear speakers: Component set of Hertz Mille Pro (6.5” and 1” tweeter)
Passive crossovers installed with front and rear speakers (setting: TW +2)
Sub: RF P3D4 10”
Amp: RF Punch 1000W 5-channel amp

I’m getting an intermittent buzzing that seems to only affect the front channel speakers both at idle and in motion. It’s almost like the sound starts at the front/left side at the tweeters and then gradually makes its way to the front/right side. I don’t hear any of it in the rear speakers but I don’t spend much time in the back seat of the vehicle.

When in motion, there is a buzzing, also in the front channel speakers, which is present, and gets louder when the accelerator is pressed.

I have verified that the ground cable Is the same size at the power cable @ 4AWG and it is grounded in the trunk of my car at one of the factory earth ground points (bolt with washer labeled ‘E’).

I’ve tried adjusting the gains on the amp, buying new rcas for the front, swapping rcas with the rear channel, and installing an rca channel noise filter (PAC-SNI-1) and wrapping it in electrical tape to shield the ground cable that comes with it, but the problem is still present.

I am stumped and am extremely receptive to any feedback/direction that you can provide. Please help.
I hope this help, but in my car, i had this issue because it was picking up a signal from the head light (bulb), so I moved the cross overs to the back of the car and the noise disappeared.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...