Help with db/ohms

Participant count
  • Participant list

tommyboy76

CarAudio.com Newbie
I hope someone here can help with my quandry.
My vehicle (2010 Kia Soul) came with a premium sound system and the speakers were shot. So I decided to upgrade the head unit (Alpine ilx650) and door speakers.
From what I understand the stock amp is pushing 2ohms.
I am not certain of the wattage rating of the amp, my questions are as follows...
1- should I install 2 ohm speakers as opposed to 4 ohm
2- if I have a set of two way 4ohm speakers with w/91db sensitivity and a set of 2 way 2ohm speakers w/88db sensitivity, which is the better option?
Bonus Question...
Adding an amplified head unit to an existing amped system (not bypassed), does the head unit add wattage to the system ?

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

You’ll have more options with 4 ohm but I’d get whatever is in your budget. Not a whole lot of 2 ohm options out there. The head unit will supply power if you have the speakers directly hooked to the head unit (bypassing factory amp). If you don’t then it is just feeding the signal to your amp.

Will be watching this thread because my little sister has a 2015 Kia Soul and when I go to see her in Indiana once this Covid crap slows down I am doing a system in hers. I know hers has a ton of speakers in it from factory and should make it a fun experiment, heck hers has 8" in the doors already with 4" mids in the dash plus tweeters. That vehicle will be a pain to work on but oh when I am done it should be a lot of fun to listen to!

So please keep us updated with pictures and everything you do as I will use some of it as a base for when I do hers next year hopefully.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.