Help with blowing tweeters?

Smtcoil

CarAudio.com Newbie
Alright, first off, I don't understand audio systems that well. I understand a bit, but not enough to figure this out. I have a 14 malibu with stock head unit non pioneer system, still with the touch display. No factory amp, no aftermarket amp. Front door and tweeters were replaced with JBL 601C 50 watt component system, back doors JBL 631 three way 45 watt, and I added a Rockford fosgate P300-10 powered sub 300 watt. All the JBL speakers work great in the doors, but the tweeters blew very quickly. One lasted 2 weeks, one lasted 2 months. Switched them over to Skar Audio TWS-01 240 watt max (for the pair so I guess 120 watt each?). Lasted a couple months, and one blew again. I didn't put in the crossover on the JBL as I assumed since the car had factory tweeters, it had crossovers. The Skar tweeters had inline crossovers which were much easier to install than JBLs, so I did. Everything sounded great and I never noticed any distortion or anything, just that one day the driver side tweeter no longer worked. Is there something that I'm not understanding that is making the tweeters blow? Do I just need better tweeters? What will work with my system that won't blow, but still offers good sound? Not going for competition levels obviously with no amp, but I do like to listen pretty loud, so I need something resilient. Volume maxes at 45, I listen in the 28-32 range. Distortion doesn't seem to start until 36-37+. Help me I'm confused lol

You blew the JBL’s due to the lack of the crossover. Don’t know what happened to the Skars, but those are very cheap tweeters.
Buy a decent pair of tweeters and use the crossovers and you’ll be fine.

The crossover goes inline before the tweeter.
I blew my focal tweets doing that same thing. Doing the reinstall I added the ones for the 6.75” as well. No problems since.

You should have heard massive distortion running tweeters without a crossover. Additionally, tweeters rated at 240 watts are basically lying on a massive scale. Real world small format car audio tweeters handle ~25wrms. If you can get a replacement set of the JBL tweeter that would ideal. If you just get a random tweeter, it's FS/FR and impedance may not match that of the JBL crossover. You try something like these NVXs which appear to include a crossover. You should bypass OEM wiring that may include an additional filter and would throw off the functioning of any crossover you insert into the circuit.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item-72198-NVX-VSPTW.html#descriptionSection

Aftermarket tweeters on a factory stereo with no tweeter crossover added. It would not take loud or high volume levels to blow a 1/2", 3/4", or 1" tweeter that is not crossed over.

I am 99% sure you were sending low enough frequencies to the tweeters to blow them even at reasonable listening levels. Because tweeters are designed to play high frequencies you most likely would not hear the lower frequencies that were frying the light duty voice coils of the tweeters making them move in and out much further than designed and causing heat they could not handle.

Find out what impedance the factory head unit or factory amp is and match the tweeters. Make sure to use the crossovers. Bypass the factory crossovers if you can find them and use the crossovers that came with the tweeters/speakers only.

When I was blowing tweeters often these were the only one's that I didn't fry.

Lets say the capacitor in the factory crossover is part of a 4ohm factory system. The crossover is set for say 4,000hz at 4 ohms. You put a 2 ohm tweeter on it. The crossover for the tweeter is now 2,000hz. Allowing too low of frequencies and frying the tweeter. What if the factory stereo is 8 ohms... well now the tweeter you added, if it is a 2ohm tweeter is crossed over at 1,000hz. The tweeter has no chance. I suspect your factory tweeter is 8 ohms, the JBL - 2ohm and the Skar - 4 ohm which is why they may have lasted longer than the JBL which were probably the loudest until they failed.

Okay, so I couldn't find the impedance of my head unit, but I was able to find that the factory tweeters were 4 ohm. I believe the crossovers were built into the factory tweeters and that's why the JBL blew, no crossovers. I dont have the JBL crossovers anymore either. So if I understand correctly, 4 ohm tweeters with a crossover and Im good? Any specific watt range? I'd prefer not to spend over 100, if not 80, but I also want balanced audio

Okay, so I couldn't find the impedance of my head unit, but I was able to find that the factory tweeters were 4 ohm. I believe the crossovers were built into the factory tweeters and that's why the JBL blew, no crossovers. I dont have the JBL crossovers anymore either. So if I understand correctly, 4 ohm tweeters with a crossover and Im good? Any specific watt range? I'd prefer not to spend over 100, if not 80, but I also want balanced audio

You don't have the JBL crossovers - why? I'd start over and get a proper component set with the crossover.

Just my suggestion... nothing fancy. 25-50w rms tweeter with crossover.
These:
With these:

I bought and used THESE EXACT CROSSOVERS specifically for tweeters and NEVER had an issue. 4 ohms and a good crossover point.

You don't have the JBL crossovers - why? I'd start over and get a proper component set with the crossover.
So when I replaced the JBL tweeters (of which the crossovers weren't installed) with the new skar tweeters, the skar tweeters came with crossovers, so I installed those instead. When the JBL tweeters were discarded, so were the crossovers, as I had the skar ones. The skar crossovers are still installed in the car. I could buy the same component set from JBL for the crossovers and tweeters, I'd keep my broken in woofers in the car, and the new ones for back ups I guess. But, I noticed that set is 3ohm, my cars factory tweeters were 4ohm. Buy that set or look for 4 ohm tweeters with crossovers?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...