Help with audio for my truck

Participant count
  • Participant list

Goode

Hi, new to this forum, so sorry if this is posted in the wrong place. Anyways, i recently bought a 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500HD and since i've had subs in every vehicle i've owned, i can't stand not having them now haha. So i am looking at putting 4 8" subs under the back seat in a ported box. Looking at 3 different set ups, 1) Rockford Fosgate P2D2 or D4 8s along with a P1000x1 or P1000x2 amp from RF as well. 2) Sundown Audio E8 V.5, but i'm not sure which amp, i've been told i could run the E8 D2s on a SAE-1500D @ 1 ohm and that would be my best option with those subs. 3) Sundown Audio SA 8s, but again, i don't know what ohm subs i should buy, D2 or D4, or what amp i should run with those. Any help would be appreciated!

Yes, and if you even have to ask you really shouldn't plan to give them more than rated power.
Best to check how much mounting depth you have as well. Most of the really rubust 8's are very deep.

I wouldn't go out of my way to pay MSRP for Sundown amps. They're nothing special compared to a dozen other "brands" that are just the same handful of Korean class D designs with different names etched on the heatsink. The only compelling reason I'd see would be customer/warranty support which you may well be able to get elsewhere at the price point.
Also, do you have any other amps you'd recommend?

No, ill have to look into it
yeah running 4 subs like u are u may go tad below 1 ohm and at .8ohm it's rated at over 3k dynamic which should be like 2100rms lol for $199.. but u gotta spend time adjusting gain and everything get that right before mount amp somewhere u can't get to it., i set gain low for kid and ss filter, xover and he screwed it to back wall of truck and now i can't see the settings at all looking at the up side down.. * NEW * CAB-1600.1 Amplifier - Car Audio Bargain it's recommended 5 times a week here, there are much better amps but most of them are at least twice the $ so up to u.. like i said my ppi p1k is a little cheaper than that and pretty reliable almost 1200rms so look around..

Right, that's why I was asking, i'm not exactly a expert on this, i know the very basics, pretty limited knowledge haha. Really would like to learn this stuff way better i just haven't, that's why i came here, hoping to get some help from some experts. I believe i should have plenty of mounting depth, worried about airspace next. Getting a quote for a box from a shop when i get back home and have a chance to go off base. BTW, does anyone know any good box builders around Charleston SC they'd recommend?
Well, Atomic APX 8" is beast and should hang with 1500w to a pair (again, check the mounting depth). I'd stick to 1500W or less on the amp if you don't want to start getting into electrical upgrades.

Other comparable amps include DC, DD, Incriminator, American Bass (VFL line), Atomic, Twisted Sounds, Ampere Audio, Crescendo, Soundqubed, and I believe SSA just came out with a couple amps that look promising (there's probably half a dozen more that use the same or similar boards and are all built in the same couple Korean factories). If you're shopping brick and mortar JL, kicker, Rockford, and Alpine should all have good offerings in the 1200W region but steer clear of their low end lines.

Twisted Sounds TS1.3KW

Here's a good deal on the Twisted amp refurbished. These guys are local to me and do good work and that amp is going to be conservatively rated.

Right, that's why I was asking, i'm not exactly a expert on this, i know the very basics, pretty limited knowledge haha. Really would like to learn this stuff way better i just haven't, that's why i came here, hoping to get some help from some experts. I believe i should have plenty of mounting depth, worried about airspace next. Getting a quote for a box from a shop when i get back home and have a chance to go off base. BTW, does anyone know any good box builders around Charleston SC they'd recommend?
It's always hard to be moving around... I know, but I'd join a Facebook group like this... https://www.facebook.com/groups/1471462273118092/ ... I'm sure there are lots of shops and enthusiasts that can help you out locally if you ask.

id go with 2 8s ported, not a lot of real estate under the seat and 4 8s will likely be more for looks than output - but id recommend more than anything talk with a professional local shop if you're not an expert at building enclosures, you're getting into the realm of complex box building.

id just get a simple cab 1600.1 for the amp and put most of your money into the enclosure and electrical. you will be louder with better electrical, even on a 1500w amp. not A LOT louder, but youll notice it.

keep in mind you can add an aux battery and upgrade your alt to an ad244 for really cheap on these trucks so electrical shouldnt be an issue. start with an agm up front and an ad244 from a junkyard. if you need more get a 2nd 55ah agm or bank of caps for the aux battery location (id recommend caps)

Hey guys. Decided on my set up, 4 RF P2D4 8's on a P1000xbd @ 1ohm in a sealed box behind the back seat rather than under it. Thanks for all the help!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.