Help Please! Accidentally crossed Pos. and Neg. for Backup Cam.

Participant count
  • Participants list

Sood.

CarAudio.com Newbie
CA
Hi All,

DIYer / tinkerer here. Not too much experience with electrical and car stereos hence being here.

I picked up an old 1998 Nissan Frontier XE and decided to add an Android Auto 7 inch touch screen aftermarket car stereo. This one specifically.

https://a.co/d/ck4NOsd

I also purchased the metra 70-7550 wiring harness.

Here is a play by play on what I did and how I ended up where I'm at now which is with no power coming to the wiring harness.

-----
I disconnected the negative terminal of the car battery.

I removed the trim and the old car stereo.

I put the wiring harness together matching up the colors using crimp connectors. I have done this before and am pretty confident in the harness.

I plugged in the head unit and it worked great. I tested the android auto and it worked perfect. Music played through spotify and Google maps navigated.

I had not connected a ground yet. From what I read, this vehicle requires that I connect the ground straight to the chassis. I didn't have any ring terminals so I held off and just left the wire from the stereo harness covered for the time being.

Next, I went to and the rear back up camera. I connected the pink wire from the radio harness to the red wire on the back up camera cable and then brought the rest of the backup camera and cable cable to the rear of the truck to test.

There were two unused wires wrapped up and tucked away in the truck bed which I am assuming tie into the backup lights. One positive (black) and one negative (black with white stripe) wires.

I made a mistake and crossed connecting to the other side of the back up camera wire. I connected the red wire from the back up camera to the black and white wire from the truck bed.

I went to test this by turning on the key to get power and I had nothing.

I realized that I had crossed the pos. and. Neg. after the fact.

So far, I checked the fuse for Acc. inside the vehicle and it looks to be fine. I also checked the fuse in the engine compartment box I think noted as Car Audio and it also looked fine.

I disconnected the after market harness and tested the original car stereo and it will not turn on so I came to the conclusion that I'm not getting power through the original wiring harness...?

Thoughts? Any help would greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Hi All,

DIYer / tinkerer here. Not too much experience with electrical and car stereos hence being here.

I picked up an old 1998 Nissan Frontier XE and decided to add an Android Auto 7 inch touch screen aftermarket car stereo. This one specifically.

https://a.co/d/ck4NOsd

I also purchased the metra 70-7550 wiring harness.

Here is a play by play on what I did and how I ended up where I'm at now which is with no power coming to the wiring harness.

-----
I disconnected the negative terminal of the car battery.

I removed the trim and the old car stereo.

I put the wiring harness together matching up the colors using crimp connectors. I have done this before and am pretty confident in the harness.

I plugged in the head unit and it worked great. I tested the android auto and it worked perfect. Music played through spotify and Google maps navigated.

I had not connected a ground yet. From what I read, this vehicle requires that I connect the ground straight to the chassis. I didn't have any ring terminals so I held off and just left the wire from the stereo harness covered for the time being.

Next, I went to and the rear back up camera. I connected the pink wire from the radio harness to the red wire on the back up camera cable and then brought the rest of the backup camera and cable cable to the rear of the truck to test.

There were two unused wires wrapped up and tucked away in the truck bed which I am assuming tie into the backup lights. One positive (black) and one negative (black with white stripe) wires.

I made a mistake and crossed connecting to the other side of the back up camera wire. I connected the red wire from the back up camera to the black and white wire from the truck bed.

I went to test this by turning on the key to get power and I had nothing.

I realized that I had crossed the pos. and. Neg. after the fact.

So far, I checked the fuse for Acc. inside the vehicle and it looks to be fine. I also checked the fuse in the engine compartment box I think noted as Car Audio and it also looked fine.

I disconnected the after market harness and tested the original car stereo and it will not turn on so I came to the conclusion that I'm not getting power through the original wiring harness...?

Thoughts? Any help would greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
Check the fuse on the back of the Radio yet?? It may be a smaller fuse like a 10amp. ACC in most cars are 20-25 amp. the 10 should blow first. It may even be a 15 amp? most are 10amp fuses.Id check there on back of the HU/Radio unit.

Check the fuse on the back of the Radio yet?? It may be a smaller fuse like a 10amp. ACC in most cars are 20-25 amp. the 10 should blow first. It may even be a 15 amp? most are 10amp fuses.Id check there on back of the HU/Radio unit.

I did check the fuse on the back of the radio that I connected when the wires were crossed and it looks fine. Is there a way to check if a fuse is good or bad other than by a visual inspection?

What's weird is that the stock radio doesn't turn on when I connect it now either so this makes me think that it's not the radios. The stock unit was not connected with the crossed wires.

Fuses can blow without looking blown. Check for 12v+ at the wiring harness.

Do this with a multimeter, yes? One lead grounded somewhere and the other lead inside the red wire terminal or the yellow wire terminal on the metra harness? Or leave the metra harness aside for now and check the stock harness from the vehicle?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...