Help on upgrading my car's audio

Participant count
  • Participant list

DnG

CarAudio.com Newbie
London
Hi,

I've recently decided to finally get involved in the car audio scene as I'm tired of all my buddies showing off their subs.

I have a 2011 BMW F10 with a 95ah battery and stock, standard speaker system (will upgrade soon, was thinking about a HK upgrade (2 underseat subs, 2 door speakers, 2 tweeters, 2 back speakers)) and I've got my eyes on a set of 2 Ground Zero GZIW 10SPL but I really need advice on the DO's and DON'T's as I want to be as professional and safe as possible, unlike the people I've seen that don't even know AWG their power wires are.

So, if I got for a 1000-1500W amp, will that be enough? If so, do I need a second battery?

I keep seeing people on here talk about "yellow top" and "big 3" batteries, and I just found out what they are from a quick search, will they be better instead of running wires for a second battery which might upset the car's systems?
Everyone I know with a sound system has one of those meters that they keep looking at saying "didn't drop under 12.0, so it's fine", where can I get one and how do I install it?

Any advice will be appreciated!

Thanks

Hi,

I've recently decided to finally get involved in the car audio scene as I'm tired of all my buddies showing off their subs.

I have a 2011 BMW F10 with a 95ah battery and stock, standard speaker system (will upgrade soon, was thinking about a HK upgrade (2 underseat subs, 2 door speakers, 2 tweeters, 2 back speakers)) and I've got my eyes on a set of 2 Ground Zero GZIW 10SPL but I really need advice on the DO's and DON'T's as I want to be as professional and safe as possible, unlike the people I've seen that don't even know AWG their power wires are.

So, if I got for a 1000-1500W amp, will that be enough? If so, do I need a second battery?

I keep seeing people on here talk about "yellow top" and "big 3" batteries, and I just found out what they are from a quick search, will they be better instead of running wires for a second battery which might upset the car's systems?
Everyone I know with a sound system has one of those meters that they keep looking at saying "didn't drop under 12.0, so it's fine", where can I get one and how do I install it?

Any advice will be appreciated!

Thanks
Do a lot of research using YouTube videos and other audio sites/forums. I also purchased several books on aftermarket stereo off of used books sites. My local library even had a few during one of their book sales.
I have 3 amps in my trunk, 1200, 160 and 300 RMS. They all work fine off of my aftermarket alternator (135 AMP). As it relates to the meter, I purchased an inexpensive voltmeter and wired it to my distribution blocks in the trunk. (Positive to the power block and negative to the ground block.) I installed a switch to turn it off and on. That allows me to check the battery current just before the amplifiers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...