Help on Jeep Wrangler audio system

Participant count
  • Participant list

waber

CarAudio.com Newbie
I'm replacing my stock audio system in my 2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU and need some help with a few things. I’ll kind of explain what I have and what I’m going for. I know Jeeps are horrible for sound so I’ll be sound treating the entire floor, doors, and add a headliner. (CLD + CCF + MLV)

I currently have a BRP 10" sub enclosure that mounts on the passenger side behind the rear seats. I got a JL Audio 10W3v3 sub to go with it. JL recommended to use this sub. The box has ~ 0.75f^3 internal air space and the 10W3v3 is recommended for 0.625ft^3. Including displacement of the sub I get closer to the recommended air space.

I also am upgrading to the Pioneer DMH-2660nex head unit.

Most likely getting AudioControl DM810 for a DSP as I can get a pretty good deal on this, cheaper than I can get the DM608.

Questions:
I have been reading around forums to see what components to get. I have ~$300 for a set up front and another ~$300 for a set in the soundbar. A big question, that leads into another question, is should I get 2 sets of components or get coaxials for the soundbar and disconnect the stock tweeter? The other question is how should I set up amps and dsp? I was thinking of having DSP control signal to all speakers (9 in total if I have 2 sets of components). If I control every speaker, should I get 3 amps? (2 Four channel amps for front speakers and soundbar, and a mono for the sub) Or if I just go with coaxial in soundbar then I can get a 6 channel amp plus mono amp for sub?
Another amp question, how powerful should it be relative to the RMS of the speaker? For example, my sub is 500 watts RMS, should I get a 500 watt amp or slightly more? I’ve seen advice for each direction, and I don’t know who is giving a better/correct answer.
Any general feedback on what component speakers I should look at and which amps to drive them would be awesome! I listen to rock/indie/punk and occasionally top 40 songs.

Does anyone have a solution to make the tweeters up front have better pointing, instead of at the windshield? Been trying to find if there is a small speaker pod for the tweeter anyone sells, I can probably make my own or modify something if I can follow what someone else has done. I can also 3d print my own if that’s recommended.

Sorry for the long explanation and I really appreciate any feedback and help you can give!

-Taylor

Good luck with your project. You may be correct about a good sound system in a Jeep Wrangler. I'm sure that was an afterthought when you made your purchase. I would definitely start with sound deadening and new speakers. Have you considered headrest speakers? I'm thinking that you will spend a lot of money trying to achieve excellent sound quality. If you just want it loud, that's a different situation.
Keep us abreast of what you decide, and your progress.

Does anyone have a solution to make the tweeters up front have better pointing, instead of at the windshield? Been trying to find if there is a small speaker pod for the tweeter anyone sells,
Many component sets have a nice pod type mount for tweeters. I know there used to be a Russian guy on this board who made custom mounting pods and grilles and suchlike out of machined aluminum that looked immaculate. If he isn't still doing it I'm sure someone else out there is.

As far as "good" sound, less is more. Good components in good locations up front and sub in the rear is going to be the easiest way to sound good. Anything beyond that will get you loud and you can make it sound clear, but you'll never get a proper sound stage mounting components behind you or all over the place.

I'd suggest doing JUST the fronts and the sub first and seeing how that goes for you, fill up the sound bar later if you feel you need louder but it will come at the expense of a good forward soundstage.

I'm replacing my stock audio system in my 2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU and need some help with a few things. I’ll kind of explain what I have and what I’m going for. I know Jeeps are horrible for sound so I’ll be sound treating the entire floor, doors, and add a headliner. (CLD + CCF + MLV)

I currently have a BRP 10" sub enclosure that mounts on the passenger side behind the rear seats. I got a JL Audio 10W3v3 sub to go with it. JL recommended to use this sub. The box has ~ 0.75f^3 internal air space and the 10W3v3 is recommended for 0.625ft^3. Including displacement of the sub I get closer to the recommended air space.

Most likely getting AudioControl DM810 for a DSP as I can get a pretty good deal on this, cheaper than I can get the DM608.

Questions:
I have been reading around forums to see what components to get. I have ~$300 for a set up front and another ~$300 for a set in the soundbar. A big question, that leads into another question, is should I get 2 sets of components or get coaxials for the soundbar and disconnect the stock tweeter? The other question is how should I set up amps and dsp? I was thinking of having DSP control signal to all speakers (9 in total if I have 2 sets of components). If I control every speaker, should I get 3 amps? (2 Four channel amps for front speakers and soundbar, and a mono for the sub) Or if I just go with coaxial in soundbar then I can get a 6 channel amp plus mono amp for sub?
Another amp question, how powerful should it be relative to the RMS of the speaker? For example, my sub is 500 watts RMS, should I get a 500 watt amp or slightly more? I’ve seen advice for each direction, and I don’t know who is giving a better/correct answer.
Any general feedback on what component speakers I should look at and which amps to drive them would be awesome! I listen to rock/indie/punk and occasionally top 40 songs.

Does anyone have a solution to make the tweeters up front have better pointing, instead of at the windshield? Been trying to find if there is a small speaker pod for the tweeter anyone sells, I can probably make my own or modify something if I can follow what someone else has done. I can also 3d print my own if that’s recommended.

Sorry for the long explanation and I really appreciate any feedback and help you can give!

-Taylor

You can get pvc end caps and a hollow bolt (to feed speaker wire through) all at home depot for less than 10 bucks and you can install it in the a pillars or sail panel. Most decent tweeters come with pods though

Good luck with your project. You may be correct about a good sound system in a Jeep Wrangler. I'm sure that was an afterthought when you made your purchase. I would definitely start with sound deadening and new speakers. Have you considered headrest speakers? I'm thinking that you will spend a lot of money trying to achieve excellent sound quality. If you just want it loud, that's a different situation.
Keep us abreast of what you decide, and your progress.

Thanks! I hadn't considered headrest speakers. I'll look into it. But probably going to keep things in the stock locations for now.

Many component sets have a nice pod type mount for tweeters. I know there used to be a Russian guy on this board who made custom mounting pods and grilles and suchlike out of machined aluminum that looked immaculate. If he isn't still doing it I'm sure someone else out there is.

As far as "good" sound, less is more. Good components in good locations up front and sub in the rear is going to be the easiest way to sound good. Anything beyond that will get you loud and you can make it sound clear, but you'll never get a proper sound stage mounting components behind you or all over the place.

I'd suggest doing JUST the fronts and the sub first and seeing how that goes for you, fill up the sound bar later if you feel you need louder but it will come at the expense of a good forward soundstage.

Thanks for the tweeter info.

So would coaxials be better in the soundbar? I've read people say they do this to "fill" in sound vs putting components in. Jeep used to only have coaxials in there, but in the 2017 model they made it components instead.

You can get pvc end caps and a hollow bolt (to feed speaker wire through) all at home depot for less than 10 bucks and you can install it in the a pillars or sail panel. Most decent tweeters come with pods though

That's a pretty decent and cheap way to do it. Thanks for the idea!

That's a pretty decent and cheap way to do it. Thanks for the idea!

Questions:

-Taylor
Always use Component separates.Coax and triax are waste of $. As far as component mounts there’s a guy I met on eBay (valicar-stuttgart)that makes custom aluminum mids and tweeter Pods for ANY brand speakers you can come up with for just $69.00-$199.00 He’s very reliable. I believe that tweeters mounted in a windshield reflective position will give you better sound quality versus an overbearing hi’s sound. Whatever you decide, try your very best to use American made speakers/products for an American, driving an iconic American vehicle. Keep on Jeeping,

Always use Component separates.Coax and triax are waste of $. As far as component mounts there’s a guy I met on eBay (valicar-stuttgart)that makes custom aluminum mids and tweeter Pods for ANY brand speakers you can come up with for just $69.00-$199.00 He’s very reliable. I believe that tweeters mounted in a windshield reflective position will give you better sound quality versus an overbearing hi’s sound. Whatever you decide, try your very best to use American made speakers/products for an American, driving an iconic American vehicle. Keep on Jeeping,

Idk where you get that Jeep is American vehicle anymore but it isn't. I loved my Jeeps like anyone else but facts are they are owned by Daimler now and have been for many years back into the early 2000s. Many of their parts come from overseas now as well so no it is not an American made or American Company or American Vehicle anymore. Doesn't matter the model either.

Also trying to find strictly American made car audio these days...well good luck.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.