Help on box for ED12k??? thanx

Participant count
  • Participant list

ngsm13
5,000+ posts

BSEE
Cincinnati, OH
I am getting to ED 12" K's....the dual 4ohm models. I want to go with a ported box, but what do i tune it to?? I wanted it to be tuned for a little more on the SQ side. I'll be back with the exact dimensions i have to work with......but this is the first box i'll be doing, and i need all the help i can get. Thanx

these are the max dimensions my box can be....what i have to work with.

k, any1 help me, please

Width- 32 1/2"

Heighth- 23" to 25"

Depth- 16" max..........possibly with a slant?? (trapezoid box)

i no nothing about biuilding boxes.....can some1 tell me where to begin. Like....what would be my cubes for this size??? port design??

p.s.- this would be for 2 ED12K's

thanx

i ran the specs on WinISD and came up with 4.031 cuft tuned to 30 hz as being your optimal enclosure. just be sure to use 3/4" MDF (medium density fiberboard). Your specs would be H-23 W-32 D-12.12. in order to tune to 30 hz, you're gonna need to make two slot ports with the dimensions 2"x6", and with a length of 14.55 inches. it'll make a hell of a box. that size and tuning gives it a real flat curve across the board, so you're good for SQ. .

but, it'll still be louder.......compared to my sealed box i have now???

that's y i am going ported.........louder than sealled but i still want SQ.

by the way.....thanx for the help

is that 12.12" ???? how do i measure the .12???

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/banghead.gif.8606515f668c74f6de0281deb475b6fd.gif

where do i put the ports? when i cut all the pieces......how do i glue them.....with what sides overlapping?????? do i leave it as one space for the 2 subs inside???? where do i put bracing?

thanx, i know i ask a lot of questions.......hopefully it will turn out kick asss!!

Ok, here goes . . .

Yes it's going to be louder. Drop the .12 for simplicity's sake. It's not going to make a difference. When you cut the pieces, be sure to account for overlap. The way I did it was to first put together the sides and front and back. Then I put the top and bottom inside that figure. As far as putting the pieces together, I used wood glue and wood screws (you can use dry wall screws also . . . it'll make it flush with the box) every 2 inches. I also bought silicone sealant and i sealed every seam of that box. trust me, you'll want to do this (especially since it's your first box. there WILL be mistakes, trust me). I was suggested 2 ports if you were going to do separate chambers, however a lot of people on this board reccomend a common chamber. If you're going to do a common chamber, then you could still do two ports, but for simplicity's sake you should do one port, 3x8, with a length of 13.45 inches. put it where you will, air will still escape it, and that's the whole point. i usually put mine in the (ok, say you're facing the front of the box where the sub(s) is/are) right rear corner, and i make it in an L shape so that the end of the port is facing towards the sub. if you do that, in order to measure the port length you just measure down the middle of the port, not the sides. As far as bracing goes, anywhere and everywhere! I've never heard of a box that was too well braced. A good idea would be to take some extra fiberboard and make right angle triangles, with each side having a length of an inch or more. Do everything you can everywhere you can, cuz the box is going to take a beating. Any more questions? haha . . . bring 'em on if you have them.

Chris

ok, i have the box concept. The ports are SOOOOOOOOO confusing though....at least to me. i'll take any more explaining u can give me about the port. so, the box is just going to be rectangular....where does the port go???

! !

! !

! !

! !

! !

!__________________________ !

if that is the front of the box w/ 2 holes for the subs....... where do i put the port........or do i put it on top??? where am i gonna fit a 3x8 port???? or if i don't put it on the front.....pretend this is the top.

thanx, i'm dumb....

this is my first attempt with an ASCII drawing, so be kind . . .

[---------------------------------------[

[ [

[ [ _____

[ [ [ [

[ [

[ [

[ [

[ [

[---------------------------------------[

Ok, this is a top view. you can see the port in the back right corner. It's OK to use one of the walls of your box as one of the walls of your ports (notice how the back wall of the box is one of the walls of the ports). Better yet?

edit - ok, the drawing looks like ****. if you want to see what it's supposed to look like, press the QUOTE button. it'll pull up the reply to a post screen with my post in it, and the picture will look normal in it.

so is the port going out the right side of the box??? since there is nothing in the top right side is that open? or is the shape of the port itself an "L"??? what are the measurements if it an "L" opposed to a 3x8 rectangular port?? thanx....it may be frustrating trying to explain this to a newbie, but thanx

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.