HELP... new 3 1/2's and the passenger side pops every few bass thumps???

kmk4juggalo20
10+ year member

ohio
we just installed 2 kenwood 12's,a kenwood amp, and 2 3 1/2's in the dash.. it sounds great at low volume but once i turn it up and its bangin the passenger side dash speaker pops with every few bass hits... anyone know what this could be? i have the dash speakers straight to the cd player not the amp... sorry im a noob with car audio and any help would be appreciated... thanks

Sounds to me like theyre not gonna last long.... no "personal" experience w/ 3.5"s but you may want to dial the bass down on the headunit and cut off any bass boost/etc... also i would cut on the high pass filter if the unit is capable

theyres no grinding noise or anything, it just pops every few bass hits.. happens if i have the car off with just music playing or if im driving.. theyres no pop when i first turn the headunit on or off its just while the music is playing... sounds almost like a rock hitting my windshield or something but i dont blast the volume because i figure its going to keep popping and i didnt want to blow the speaker yet.. lol..

yep, you need a high pass crossover on them. commonly called "bassblockers" they are simply a non-polarized capacitor wired in series. the value of the cap depends on the nominal impedance of the speaker. google "bassblockers" and buy some rated for 160Hz.

they are only a couple of bucks and they will protect your speakers. you'll loose midbass but what do you expect from 3.5" speakers?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.