help needed - sony XAV-602BT head unit wont recognise USB drive

Participant count
  • Participants list

fourteen0407

CarAudio.com Newbie
hi all,

was recommended by a friend to come on here and seek help from you guys with a problem I'm having

I have bought a 2nd hand head unit, sony xav-602bt have issue need help with.

I'm trying to update the firmware which is quite easy but the unit does not recognise or even acknowledge that a USB flash drive has inserted into it. there are two USB ports, on in the front and one in the back. both work as I can connect my phone to either and it starts charging.

but when I insert the USB stick, in either USB port, it doesn't recognise its been inserted and instead when you click on say for example, the USB music or picture option, it continues to say no USB has been detected.

same for when I try to update firmware. i go to settings and go to update and its greyed out, as in there is no USB inserted.

now I've tried about 3 different USB drives and the unit still stays nothing has been inserted. the light on the USB flashes when you insert it but the unit wont read any of the flash drives.

I've formated them, from fat32 to, ex fat and ntsc but still nothing.

thanks all in advance,

margaret

Try doing a reset on the stereo.
Otherwise, It could be corrupted software in the stereo to the point that it will not recognize the USB. And since you can’t update the software without the USB, you are screwed.

Or, It could be a hardware problem with the stereo. Their are 4 connections in a USB connector. 2 of which supply power, and the other 2 data. One of the data connections could be broken inside the stereo and it would still charge, but not connect. So you are still screwed.

Once again, you should question why the previous owner got rid of it.

He sold it is because it's an old system and he has upgraded to a 2019 android model wearas this Sony one is 2014 so don't think he's sold to me because it was broken but also I Know Him as he is my neighbour.

So I generally don't believe he's sold me I faulty unit.

But more importantly if there Erorr with the USB drrive on the unit due to hardware or software issues then at least one of the USB would work but they both having issues so I don't think it's a software issue

Tell your neighbor about your problem. Ask your neighbor if you can borrow his USB stick. If it works, then you will know it's a problem with your USB stick formatting. If it doesn't work, it's a problem internally with your stereo. Then you will know what your problem is, and proceed from there. Just a suggestion.

Hi

Ive tried that but he no longer has it anymore. He bought a new stick so i tried that and its the same.

Its something to do with the format type of the stick. Ive tried tje 3 different ones but neither do anything. Yoh can see the unit read the stick as light flashes.

I had a Pioneer Head Unit that would only accept firmware updates through the SD card slot. Does this unit have SD card reader? On my Pioneer the USB only looked for media devices (like a phone or music device) on either of the USB ports.

I know it's got an SD slot somewhere but simply can't find it and the reason why I know it's got a SD slot because the unit has Tom Tom Tom and according to the manual you can buy a SD card with TomTom software on there are but I have looked all over the unit and I can't see where this what is and the manual doesn't say where the slot is

And I know the USB slots work because they recognise my phone when I plug it in stating that is not compatible with mirror link because my phone is using a new version of android

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.