Help!! I cracked my windshield from 1,200 watts

The_Jardz

View attachment 26557570View attachment 26557571View attachment 26557568View attachment 26557569

Ok, so I’ve been running a 300 watt Rockford p300 powered subwoofer system for about a year now and decided to upgrade.

I decided on the Rockford p3-2x12 box and a Rockford power 1000 watt amp. Anyways so those came in 2 days ago, and I had some fun on the day I set them up but turned them down to let them break in a little and to not loose my hearing because it physically hurts to play them at 3/4 or higher (they only get to around 98 dB so its not crazy or anything, just kinda feels really uncomforatble to play that loud). Well anyways today I decide to show off to my friend who has a 2000 watt rms Skar audio setup, and I turned it up to around 5/6ths of its total power. I had the gain at around half (used multimeter to set it up properly) and was adjusting the power from my head unit.

Anyways I played around 10 seconds of Starboy and noticed my windshield cracked. Now there is 3 cracks that branch out from a center dot right behind my mirror. the glass is only cracked on the inside so that tells me that there was no rock or anything like that that hit it. The cracks go out about 3-4 inches and they are just straight lines.

Insurance said they will cover it if the windshield can be repaired, but they won’t do $H1t if I have to replace it. Anyways safelight comes on Wednesday. I’m wondering how I see videos of people running like 5000 watt systems and don’t crack windshields. Hell, even my friend who has those 2 15’s at 2000 watts... he doesn’t crack anything. I’m wondering how, if possible, to prevent this in the future. I feel like it’s the mirror shaking against the window since the origin of the cracks is directly behind the mirror. ANY HELP WOULD BE EXTELEMY APPRECIATIED. Thank you all so much.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah man i would think more like maybe it had small crack to begin with but we have guys here with 18's and 8 12's that have broken several shield so maybe they'll have some input

I had to replace my windshield in my truck 3 times in a years time and I was actually running 4 of the same sub amps at 2 ohm ea.one on ea sub.It took a hell of alot to damage the windshield.I did have the side x-cab window latch break on me at a meet in Plano one year running a pair of 12s on two Autotek BTS 7150s at 2 Ohm ea.i ended up screwing those down and then 1/2" insulation and sealed off with 3/4 plywood.Took quite a bit of movement to get my windshield to spider up and blow.

I did have a POS/beater Nissan Maxima I bought and drove up in DC/VA, that had bad struts that made it pretty harsh on the riding conditions as though hitting a 3"road crater felt like hitting a solid pole at 40mph and began cracking my windshield due to poor struts.

"I did have a POS/beater Nissan Maxima I bought and drove up in DC/VA, that had bad struts that made it pretty harsh on the riding conditions as though hitting a 3"road crater felt like hitting a solid pole at 40mph and began cracking my windshield due to poor struts."

Yikes! that is just plain crazy! I wish I could blame it on something like that, but my car is pretty decent and just a month ago I fitted new shocks and struts and it rides really nice. the thing is that I literally watched the windshield crack right in front of me while the music was playing and I was sitting still, so there is no way that could be the cause... I feel like it has to be something with the mirror because if you look at the picture the glass right behind the mirror is shattered. I just dont get how it would be possible to prevent this in the future. Im in high school working a part time job so I don't exactly have the money to keep buying new windshields every month.

A good chip in the windshield from a rock can cause it to crack pretty easy from subwoofers. When it was really hot outside mine would crack alot easier as well.
I was thinking the same thing, that there had to be an existing chip or something like that. but the outside of the windshield is completely smooth and undamaged. the inside layer of the windshield is where the cracks are and they can be easily felt inside.

I was thinking the same thing, that there had to be an existing chip or something like that. but the outside of the windshield is completely smooth and undamaged. the inside layer of the windshield is where the cracks are and they can be easily felt inside.
doubt it'll help but u could put thick mat (gp audio stfu 250 mil thick) on the roof, can't hurt anyway..

Fvck this I’m selling my sundowns and buying Rockford p3s !!!

A rock chip won't necessarily make the exterior "unsmooth." You can see a rock chip then feel it and it feels normal. Looking at the photos, it doesn't look like a rock chip. If safelite says they can't fix it, go to another place. Insurance loves them because they are easy to work with and well known but they also charge more.

View attachment 26557570View attachment 26557571View attachment 26557568View attachment 26557569Ok, so I’ve been running a 300 watt Rockford p300 powered subwoofer system for about a year now and decided to upgrade.

I decided on the Rockford p3-2x12 box and a Rockford power 1000 watt amp. Anyways so those came in 2 days ago, and I had some fun on the day I set them up but turned them down to let them break in a little and to not loose my hearing because it physically hurts to play them at 3/4 or higher (they only get to around 98 dB so its not crazy or anything, just kinda feels really uncomforatble to play that loud). Well anyways today I decide to show off to my friend who has a 2000 watt rms Skar audio setup, and I turned it up to around 5/6ths of its total power. I had the gain at around half (used multimeter to set it up properly) and was adjusting the power from my head unit.

Anyways I played around 10 seconds of Starboy and noticed my windshield cracked. Now there is 3 cracks that branch out from a center dot right behind my mirror. the glass is only cracked on the inside so that tells me that there was no rock or anything like that that hit it. The cracks go out about 3-4 inches and they are just straight lines.

Insurance said they will cover it if the windshield can be repaired, but they won’t do $H1t if I have to replace it. Anyways safelight comes on Wednesday. I’m wondering how I see videos of people running like 5000 watt systems and don’t crack windshields. Hell, even my friend who has those 2 15’s at 2000 watts... he doesn’t crack anything. I’m wondering how, if possible, to prevent this in the future. I feel like it’s the mirror shaking against the window since the origin of the cracks is directly behind the mirror. ANY HELP WOULD BE EXTELEMY APPRECIATIED. Thank you all so much.
Gotta LOVE Car Window Shaking BASS, eh?

Would it shock you to KNOW you cannot set up a LOW FREQ physical audio wave any lower than the LONGEST DISTANCE of the INTERIOR SPACE in which you are listening! Like IN YOUR CAR! DUH!! That's why high powered AUDIO FARTBOXES always sound a lot better WITH THE WINDOWS DOWN!!

Physics are a *****!! When I was in Computer Engineering school I saw a great sig file: "If it wasn't for physics and law enforcement I'd be unstoppable!"

Namaste

John Kuthe...

Do you have any deadening on your roof? That helps

But if your windshield flexes alot you'll have to remove the rear view mirror.

My acura did the same thing, only way way worse. 1 18 on 2k, deadened the roof and no mirror been good since. Only 135 to replace the windshield

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.