*HELP* Humming noise coming from subwoofer when braking and randomly when driving...

miringrains

Normally I'd search the forums, but this problem is one of a kind because I've had 4 different people completely rewire the entire car system. The system I have now was professionally wired (a 3,000 job with full sound system) and everything works flawlessly except for the random humming from the subwoofer. And by humming I mean it plays a very low and loud bass note that isnt in any song and even plays it when there is no song playing. It will pulse on and off in intervals of a few seconds. It usually happens when I brake, but can happen completely randomly. Sometimes it throbs like random bass notes, sometimes it happens once and goes away. Usually happens during a part of a song with no bass, or when there is no music playing period. Ive changed everything including the subwoofer but maybe Ive missed something. It is not the RCA cables, it is not the amp (went through 5 of them), it is not the high low, it is not the feed (tapped into speaker and the bass feed).

Car is a:

2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 with Harmon Kardon sound system stock. The current amp is a fosgate class d and the two subwoofers (which have been in 2 of my cars and now are just a tad banged up from moving and what not) are MTX 12s

Last edited by a moderator:
you wont believe me but i had the same problem and i thought it was the grounds and i would change different locations and nothing i then remove the rcas of my 2 channel bass amp and bought some t-spec v12 rcas and boom the problem stopped ... but check the connections inside the box ' or try different brand rcas

Hi,
Did you ever get to the bottom of this?
I've just installed a Sony Xplod 1000W system in my Jeep Cherokee SRT 2016 using the high-level speaker input with a feed from the existing Harmon Kadon sub. I'm getting the random bass notes as well, even when volume turned down to 0.
Cheers,
Patrick

10 minutes after I wrote that message, I managed to find some other commentary about the Jeep Cherokee SRT's and audio systems. Seems it's related to the Active Noise Control system.

What did you determine the Active Noise Control was doing to create this? I have a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L with 1k miles on it that is doing this. Obviously my audio is the stock audio with the McIntosh speakers. (Idk if that helps but i don’t know but about audio) I first noticed it happens a lot on a cold startup when I put the vehicle in Reverse but it has started doing it at random time going down the road as well.

I first noticed it happens a lot on a cold startup when I put the vehicle in Reverse but it has started doing it at random time going down the road as well.
Is there a way to disable ANC? If yes, try it out. If no, you may have to try disconnecting the overhead microphones and test it. I know bringing the headliner down is a big task, but if it works, awesome. Not sure if the ANC and BT mics are the same or separate.

Is there a way to disable ANC? If yes, try it out. If no, you may have to try disconnecting the overhead microphones and test it. I know bringing the headliner down is a big task, but if it works, awesome. Not sure if the ANC and BT mics are the same or separate.

Last edited:

Last edited:
I’m almost done installing an amp/sub to my factory 8.4”UConnect on a 2021 Jeep with ANC. I’ve tested the audio with no problems (only in the ACC position). I’m interested to see if this humming occurs with mine once the engine is on. If it does, I’m going to cut the ANC wires and cap them to see if that works. I don’t like or use ANC anyways. Knowing UConnect, I’ll probably have to add resistors or the whole Jeep will have a hissy fit and shut down. 🤣

Or, the easier option I guess, would be to remove the ANC mic’s.

Last edited:
I’m almost done installing an amp/sub to my factory 8.4”UConnect on a 2021 Jeep with ANC. I’ve tested the audio with no problems (only in the ACC position). I’m interested to see if this humming occurs with mine once the engine is on. If it does, I’m going to cut the ANC wires and cap them to see if that works. I don’t like or use ANC anyways. Knowing UConnect, I’ll probably have to add resistors or the whole Jeep will have a hissy fit and shut down. 🤣

Or, the easier option I guess, would be to remove the ANC mic’s.
Awesome, thanks for the reply. You might wanna check out this Jeep thread. https://www.jeepgarage.org/threads/disabling-anc.233792/

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...