Help figuring out the rating for these JL subs?

Mermalion

CarAudio.com Newbie
USA
Hey everyone, I just bought these JL 10's and was not told what they are. They look a little older (which is fine) and don't have the power rating, ohm value, or model listed on them anywhere that I seen. Anyone know what they are? Thanks for any and all info.

p.s. ignore the jensen... it was thrown in haha
2.jpg
1.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    514.8 KB · Views: 16
Yeah look on the sides of the magnet and frame, even for a small sticker. Aside from that, they look like really old W1 series, maybe W0. Something like 10w1-8 (last digit would be impedance), which I don't know if those are 4 or 8 ohm, you'd have to check that.

Probably 125 to 150 watts RMS, would not go past 200 each and that might be pushing them too far. Those are old subs, fairly small magnets / coils, and probably won't take a ton of power. That modern Jensen probably handles more power.

At any rate, hope you find the proper info on them. Cool to see old subs still kicking.

Yeah, these subs still work. It is really cool to see them keep bumpin. I got these to throw in my chevy express van. I don't need anything crazy but want some decent bass added to my music. even though these are likely not very powerful they should be enough for me. I'll check the places you both mentioned in a little bit. I really just checked the back the of magnet where it says JL audio. I thank you for your help and will post here again in a little while.

I looked all over the subs and found nothing unfortunately. I took them to a car audio shop and they instantly said they're old w3's. That is not what any of you are saying though. I tested the coils with a multimeter and they read about 6 ohm. Does that mean they're 8 ohm or 4? I've never heard of a 6ohm sub but I'm far from an expert lol I thank everyone for your help.

I looked all over the subs and found nothing unfortunately. I took them to a car audio shop and they instantly said they're old w3's. That is not what any of you are saying though. I tested the coils with a multimeter and they read about 6 ohm. Does that mean they're 8 ohm or 4? I've never heard of a 6ohm sub but I'm far from an expert lol I thank everyone for your help.
JL made 6 ohm subs, that's why it was common to see three of them instead of 2, as 3 - 6 ohm subs would reach 2 ohms on an amp. They must be the 3 series then, because I don't think the 1 series came with a 6 ohm coil. Been a minute for me though lol.

Motors look to small to be a w3.
Agreed
I had 2 10W1's and 2 W3's so long ago that i won't even tell you when it was but those look the same as the W1's
Although that was many a substance ago
I Think the W0's had a silver basket and the W3's had a bigger magnet
I think i still have the W3's in my storage unit somewhere

I think the W1 had a smaller magnet and dust cap compared to W0. I had both back in the day with the dome dust caps and both had black baskets

Last edited:
Id like to see a pic with an Ohm meter to see coil readings. I wouldnt put more than 200rms on ea sub @4 ohms final load. . They should do nice sealed. Hell If they blow or dont sound good. Id run that Jensen

JL has done some odd coil impedance in the past and I think still do 3 ohm coils on their W7. Their slash series amps are rated to drive 1.5 ohm and really if you hooked the pair of those up in parallel to a "4 ohm stable" amp you'd almost definitely be just fine. They may have been marketed as 6 or 8 ohm when new and as someone else mentioned I too remember people using 3 subs a lot with the JL so may well have been pitched as 6 ohm for that purpose.

Those are definitely antique and while they probably function fine they're coming down the home stretch of their life before moving parts start to fail from age. I understand that those on a couple hundred watts is likely adequate for your needs, the bigger issue I see going forward is that if that much bass is adequate for you you could do it in much less space with modern equipment. A single modern 8 or 10" woofer on 500W of power would outperform those in about 1 cubic foot gross space... and 500W is crazy cheap these days.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...