Help Appreciated: Sub selection & box type for: 2005 F250 Super Duty Crew Cab

Participant count
  • Participant list

Gator4x

Hello All!
Haven't been on this forum in quite some time...been away from car audio for quite a while, but my truck needs help...

I've got a 2005 Ford F250 Crew Cab diesel. It's my daily driver and nearly stock right now.
HU: Kenwood Excelon DDX8905S, great HU so far - very happy with it.
Speakers: stock

I'm ready to move forward with upgrading the speakers, adding subs, amps, and doing some work on sound deadening.

I have not bought subs or amps yet.

I'm not looking to do competitions.
Mainly listen to country, metal, rock and rap.
I'd like my subs to hit some decent SPL where you can really feel it in your chest if I'm listening to rap, but I want the subs to be able to keep up with double bass when I'm listening to In Flames or Parkway Drive cranked up!

I've only ever had sealed boxes, and always built my own, so that's where I tend to head. My gut tells me that in order to get the SPL I desire I should go 12's instead of 10's or 8's, but then there is excursion, power, box type & design etc.

I'm planning to put the subs behind the rear bench seat in an angled box firing into the rear bench seat. Typical truck box style. This is the only spot I can put the subs under the seat seems to shallow, but maybe 8's would work?

Profile dimensions of box will be: height of 17", bottom depth of 8.5", and top depth of 3" width around 48" may have to go wide in order to work around components like my power slider motor.
Max volume of about .85 ft^3/sub gross so total volume of 1.7 ft^3.
Mounting depth limitation is about 5.5"-5.75" for 12's, should be a little deeper for 10's, and again for 8's if that is a recommendation.

I've been reading and researching for a couple weeks now and it looks like the 12" Alpine Type S sub could be a good choice, rated at 600 watts RMS. I've been trying to keep a regular depth sub vs a "shallow" sub. Seems like only some 12's would work, and again only some 10's, more 8's. I've never used 8's so I'm leary to try it but I did hear a killer system with 8's once.

Budget - Would like to keep the subs and amp around $500 total.

Right now I'm thinking 2 12" Alpine type S subs ($120 ea= $240) in sealed box .85 cu ft/sub gross, with an alpine S-A60M amp ($200) pushing 300watts RMS into each sub. More power costs more so trying to balance budget vs meeting my goals.

Looked at Image Dynamics subs also, but I have to double check if their 12's would fit my box design. Looks like the ID10 would fit though. But seems like the specs show it wants a bigger ported box.

I am open to the idea of 1 sub in a vented box if that is what makes sense - or going with 8's even though that freaks me out. LOL

So lemme have it, whatcha think I should do to make this truck thump and bump?

thanks all!

8’s get a bad rep sometimes but they can be nasty with the right box/power. You don’t have enough space for ID 12’s in my opinion. For 12’s with that space, you’d have to go shallow mounts to get results. Alpine S is a great budget woofer. I think you can get more amp wise for your money than Alpine.

Yeah I’ve only ever had Rockford fosgate and alpine amps. thoughts on any others I should consider?

Saw a JL JX1000/1 for $300- that would get me closer to max rms rating. Not really sure how much power I would need for the type S's to sound good?

Taramps is the go to brand here for cost/power. I haven’t jumped to Brazilian though. For $300 your better off going US Acoustics Mike.

Soundqubed has the S1-1250 for $179 too. Lots of good budget option in that 1,000 watt range.

Hello All!
Haven't been on this forum in quite some time...been away from car audio for quite a while, but my truck needs help...

I've got a 2005 Ford F250 Crew Cab diesel. It's my daily driver and nearly stock right now.

I'm ready to move forward with upgrading the speakers, adding subs, amps, and doing some work on sound deadening.

I'd like my subs to hit some decent SPL where you can really feel it in your chest if I'm listening to rap, but I want the subs to be able to keep up with double bass when I'm listening to In Flames or Parkway Drive cranked up!

I've only ever had sealed boxes, and always built my own, so that's where I tend to head. My gut tells me that in order to get the SPL I desire I should go 12's instead of 10's or 8's, but then there is excursion, power, box type & design etc.

I'm planning to put the subs behind the rear bench seat in an angled box firing into the rear bench seat. Typical truck box style. This is the only spot I can put the subs under the seat seems to shallow, but maybe 8's would work?

Profile dimensions of box will be: height of 17", bottom depth of 8.5", and top depth of 3" width around 48" may have to go wide in order to work around components like my power slider motor.
Mounting depth limitation is about 5.5"-5.75" for 12's, should be a little deeper for 10's, and again for 8's if that is a recommendation.

I've been reading and researching for a couple weeks now and it looks like the 12" Alpine Type S sub could be a good choice, rated at 600 watts RMS. I've been trying to keep a regular depth sub vs a "shallow" sub. Seems like only some 12's would work, and again only some 10's, more 8's. I've never used 8's so I'm leary to try it but I did hear a killer system with 8's once.

Right now I'm thinking 2 12" Alpine type S subs ($120 ea= $240) in sealed box .85 cu ft/sub gross, with an alpine S-A60M amp ($200) pushing 300watts RMS into each sub. More power costs more so trying to balance budget vs meeting my goals.

Looked at Image Dynamics subs also, but I have to double check if their 12's would fit my box design. Looks like the ID10 would fit though. But seems like the specs show it wants a bigger ported box.

I am open to the idea of 1 sub in a vented box if that is what makes sense - or going with 8's even though that freaks me out. LOL

thanks all!
I am a fan of sealed boxes too. I haven’t heard an Alpine sub in a while but I have never heard anything bad about them. Check out some amp dyno vids on YouTube. I love watching Big D Wiz. I have been surprised at the amount of power some of the cheaper amps make. He got 900 + watts on the sub channel of a Pioneer 5 channel at 1 ohm. Not rated as stable lower than 2 ohms. I almost **** a brick 🧱😜

Power is cheap these days. Just need to go with a company that will back its products since the quality can be iffy (cheaper components, build quality, etc). Alpine is still a great solid brand but just seems to price their head units and amps high for what you get.

Wow thanks for all the input and budget suggestions for amps. Never thought of using a budget brand as I figured they either wouldn’t sound as good, wouldn’t last as long or both... I.e. get what you pay for, but I’m doing the reading now, intrigued by the soundqubed stuff. tried reading Taramps website but either their English was pretty far off or that last triple IPA did me in...

As far as subs go never heard of aeroports so I’ll check that out. I came to the type S because I was looking for something thin enough as a 12, with decent power handling, excursion, and suitable to run in a smallish box. I’m not any pro with sub specs though so if there are better options I’m open to them.

Oldfart I have watched a few dyno runs on YouTube those are really helpful! But there are soooooo many options it’s just overwhelming to pick something, so the Recommendations are great!

Hello All!

thanks all!

You could put two or three of these behind your seat in a sealed box on a Taramps MD1200 for under $500. Dayton makes some very nice subs. The subs only require .45 cubic ft. sealed for each one.
Screenshot_20200731-001254_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20200731-001920_Samsung Internet.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.